Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mixture Control

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mixture Control

I remember a discussion on this site regarding replacement of the old Piper mixture control with a vernier control. I haven't been able to pull it up in a search. ACS has the MC-600 p/n 05-01254 listed for the PA-22's and I have recently purchased one for installation in my project. I am having difficulty with the installation, as it appears the vernier "body" that extends forward (behind the panel) is too long and is interfering with the flight control sprockets and chain. It appears that the mixture control cable behind the panel would have to be supported in a severe bind to clear the control column chains, and even then leaving the vernier control and knob out of alignment on the pilot's side of the panel. Are there any installation tricks out there that makes this cable the right choice for an upgrade or is there another anyone would recommend? This just doesn't look right to me, but I've been told I don't look too good.

Lou S.

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw the article on Andy's site today. It has the PN's. I believe Homer had it installed via a field approval.

Post Thanks / Like

Lou,

When you figure how to do this will you post details for the ones after you? I'm going to be one of them.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I installed vernier mixture and throttle controls as a portion of a major rebuild of my cockpit area and the instrument panel. I used the Gubler STC to reposition the tubes behind the panel to gain more freedom in designing the panel. Part of this STC involves separating the panel into upper and lower portions where the lower portion contains the engine controls. As indicated in the photo I moved the throttle and mixture controls to the center of the lower panel. As discussed above there was significant interference with the flight controls behind the panel if the controls were installed perpendicular to the panel. My solution was to install the controls on beveled aluminum strips such that the cables were about 15 to 20 degrees from perpendicular to the panel to gain clearance with the control mechanism. Much time was spent on finalizing this approach so that my IA would sign off on it.

controlswithtrim.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one installed in my plane by the previous owner. I'll take a look to see what part numbers were used and how it was rigged.

Paul
    N1431A
    2AZ1

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mixture creeping out!

I have noticed that my mixture control continually creeps outwards with vibration so that if I take my eyes off of it for a minute or two it will have moved several 5-10mm toward lean. This is obviously an unsafe condition. Does anyone know of a replacement mixture with a more conventional vernier/adjustable friction lock mechanism I can have installed?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mixture creeping out!

They are spendy but you can buy a PMA'd cable from McFarlane. A&P can install.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Aircraft Spruce sells a cable with slight detents to prevent slippage. I had one on my mixture and carb heat.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the McFarlane vernier that I install on my Pacer.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Mine was doing that too, but I was able to fix it pretty easily. Just behind the knob on the mixture cable there's a couple of inches of rod before the flexible length starts. I bent that just a little and the mixture stopped creeping.