Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vagabond Paint Scheme.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vagabond Paint Scheme.

BrettL, Sorry, my mistake. Maybe Magus will chime in here.

I did find the list I made from Clyde's data. 1949 Clippers: Most were Ivory with Red trim. There was about 100 were painted Blue with Yellow trim. Three or four were Blue with Ivory trim. One was painted Ivory with Burgundy, and one was painted Green with Ivory trim. There were some interior notes I saw. "Special Brown" "Deluxe Brown" "Blue Headliner" "Reinforced Seat Back" "Liner Tubes in Front Seats Backs" "J-4 Throttle Knob" and "Plastic Door Handle". If anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Clyde's build info documents are very interesting. I'd love to have a copy of the whole thing, at least for all the Vagabonds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrettL View Post
    Clyde's build info documents are very interesting. I'd love to have a copy of the whole thing, at least for all the Vagabonds.
    Same here, if they are available... more good info for the forum.
    Curt
    N7606K/N4405H

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrettL View Post
    Remember, it is what he has to sell. He saved these when no one else thought they had any value. Thank You Clyde Smith Jr (his dad did the production test flight on my Clipper). I can't clearly remember but $10 a set is what I remember. So 350 PA-15's $3500, and another $2500 for the PA-17's should make him happy to share.

Post Thanks / Like

Help Clyde out, go to one of his seminars, so he can keep up the good work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cammons3 View Post
    Not sure, Joe; another hard question that may be require Clyde Smith clarification. I did pick this up from the Cub Forum regarding Randolph's J3 Cub Yellow color (http://www.pipercubforum.com/yellow.htm), but even it may not be correct.

Much like the stripe's existence, I'm unsure where it was decided which "blue" was the proper color when the black/white photo above gives credence to the prototype's stripe having a significantly black shade to it. Anyway, it does allow us to imagine the "correct colors"; and we may not have been correct in any of our assumptions of what these planes should have looked like. They sure are fun flyers though, aren't they?

My buddy is painting his J3 Lemon Yellow, and it looks good, too, if not "correct". As long as no one tells the plane...

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog....php?pid=12671
    I got the quote from Magnus in the first link of this post... just for everyone's info.

I just read about the matching enamels to go with dopes etc. that various manufacturers offer, so I answered my own question about painting the fabric versus the metal parts, but does anyone know anything about Lincoln fabrics?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

As I remember the story..... When only nitrate dope was used, the yellow melted into the silver below it and made it a little more "green".