Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone going to Orcas Island Fly-In (Puget Sound-Washington State) August 3-4-5?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Anyone going to Orcas Island Fly-In (Puget Sound-Washington State) August 3-4-5?

Howdy All,

Just a quick "hello"-- this being my first post on this forum. I am taking N7035D for it's maiden voyage of >100 miles since purchasing it in December 2011. This plane hung out for many years in Cle Elum or that area in Washington with a former owner. It was purchased by some fellahs in Oregon - who then sold it to me-and the plane now resides at the Caldwell, ID airport.

Just wondering if any other Pacer / Tri Pacer owners are coming to the fly in. I am hoping to attend (WX permitting) and my cousin will be there with his beautifully restored Pacer as well. Hope to meet some other shortwingers there.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone going to Orcas Island Fly-In (Puget Sound-Washington State) August 3-4-5?

I could zip over, its about 0.2 with taxi time from where I'm based.

-Grant

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone going to Orcas Island Fly-In (Puget Sound-Washington State) August 3-4-5?

Quote Originally Posted by Grantmac View Post
    I could zip over, its about 0.2 with taxi time from where I'm based.

-Grant
    Wow... a short trip! A bit farther for me... I am planning Caldwell, ID to Priest Lake, ID for an overnight camp at 66S- Cavanaugh Bay Airstrip, then on over to Orcas on Friday to make camp for the weekend.

Do you have any experience crossing the Cascades via Lake Chelan? I have only crossed along Snoqualmie and (I think one day when it was clear) Stampede. Looking for a good "northern" route if the WX is not clear.

Post Thanks / Like

I took Hwy 2 the one time I flew it a couple of years back, I like having some sort of pavement under me in mountains. Stephen on here has flown it many times.

Since I now can't make Concrete, I will make this one my next.

-Grant

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you on pavement under you. Just read another post here about a PA-22 going down enroute to Arlington. Very sorry to hear this news. While I have flown the Idaho Backcountry for many years, I find the Cascades more nerve-wracking. As you mentioned, best to follow the roads.

My three good friends (two newly minted Private Pilots and a passenger) took a direct flight shortly after obtaining their pilots' licenses from Twin Falls, ID to Billings, MT. In February. Direct. Over the Beartooth Mountains. They made it to Billings, and did their business. They returned the same route, and never made it home. That was 1988 and I still miss those guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Going over hwy 2 I do Pangborn/Cashmere/Lake Wenatchee/Skykomish/Sky Harbor. I cut the corners a bit to stay within reasonable gliding range of those airports, and following this route keeps you over the highway the whole time. I've done this only twice, but this route was recommended to me by a CFI, and when you're at 10.5k it feels pretty safe.

I will hopefully make either the Concrete or Orcas fly ins, maybe both but doubt it.

I'm going to Boise next week to visit family in Boise, and haven't decided between KBOI, Caldwell, and Nampa. Any recommendations? It would be fun to fly into the big airport, but not if it's going to be a bunch of extra money.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Greg- thanks for the intel on that route. I will scope it out online. Hope we might see you at Orcas.

As to your Boise visit: I have owned aircraft and flown in and out of all three. I have no problem with BOI because I worked at the airport, knew all the controllers, and drove a vehicle up and down runways every working day for ten years. It is also fairly friendly to fly into. It's been several years (0 since I've had a plane based there. Jackson Jet Center has parking and they treat you right. Western Aircraft was very good too when I worked there for an FBO.

Nampa is good; just busy. Parking should be available. Lots of GA traffic there.

I prefer Caldwell. It's VERY easy to get in and out of- listen on 122.7 for skydiving activity, other than that, very straightforward. Their self serve 100LLL is reasonable-- one by the cafe is a little more money I think-- the other SS tank is off Taxiway Alpha to the East of the cafe about 4-500 yards.. Better yet- stop at Payette airport (20 minutes West/Northwest of KEUL) and top up with MOGAS if your plane can drink it, for less. Then land at Caldwell, tie down out in front of the restaurant; and on that topic, make it a point to have breakfast at the Airport Cafe. It is my absolute favorite place for breakfast or lunch. They close about 2 or 3. No VISA- bring cash. Great food, HUGE portions, small prices. You can access your plane via the walk gate next to the cafe. Their is a pilot lounge there, too. I like KEUL. I have been going there to eat for years, but rented a hangar there last winter when I bought my T-Pacer. I've been very pleased with the airport.

Hope that helps; feel free to contact me if I've skipped something important. Enjoy your visit. Been hot as hell here but it's supposed to cool down next week to the 90's...

Post Thanks / Like

Orcas is beautiful - but Concrete is a much better flyin! There will be Pacers there.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard the Concrete fly in is very good. Sigh. Too many fly-ins, too little vacation and gas money ... My wife has something to do with the Orcas decision . It has been many years since my last trip to a Washington fly-in (Arlington). Very much looking forward to it.

Post Thanks / Like

coming from your direction, hwy 20 might be your best choice for crossing the Cascades. I have done it many times in my Pacer.

since Orcas is the next island over from Lopez, I often go to the fly in, but only for a few hours. I plan to be at Concrete Fri - Sun. It is worth seeing Jim Jenkins newly (for the second time) restored Vag.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."