Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: "IFR-ing" a PA-22-150

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "IFR-ing" a PA-22-150

Chris, I had all the avionics installed by a local shop. The GPS antenna is on the top of the Pacer just behind the windshield over the co-pilot seat. The COM-1 (GARMIN 430W) antenna is mounted over the pilots seat on the top. I have to measure the distance between them and take pictures next time I go to the hangar. I'm not sure about the grounding of the antennas. I can open the zipper and take a look inside and take pictures.
    The results have been very good. The antenna for the 430W is in the same location where the antenna was for the GARMIN 300XL GPS/COM I used before. I never had any interference in GPS signal or communications. Antenna for COM-2 is on the belly of the Pacer. Also no problems.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Iriarte View Post
    Juergen,

What considerations did you take for antenna placement for the Garmin 430, i.e., distance from com antenna, size of ground plane? What were your results?

Regards,
    Chris
    Here is a picture of the antennas mounted on the Pacer. Com over the pilot seat, GARMIN 430W over the co-pilot seat and Aspen PFD on the tank cover. The second Com is on the belly and the VOR/Localizer at the tail.
    Here is a YouTube video about my Pacer. It gives a lot more detail about the airplane. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OktsmuHiWKM&t=2s

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I made a comment a while back about the 49 page flight manual supplement I needed to print and carry in the airplane. Can anyone think of any reason it wouldn’t be legal to copy that file to my phone and carry it that way?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    I made a comment a while back about the 49 page flight manual supplement I needed to print and carry in the airplane. Can anyone think of any reason it wouldn’t be legal to copy that file to my phone and carry it that way?
    No reason at all. All the Gulfstream at work have their flight manuals on an iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Juergen,

Thanks for the pics.

Do you know if your avionics shop made any changes regarding avionics cooling? With the Pacer's original "vent with scat hose aimed at avionics" I'm thinking moisture from outside may be a concern. I wonder if you can make a water trap (like under your sink with a small hole at the low point) or if it's better to just use a fan.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Iriarte View Post
    Juergen,

Thanks for the pics.

Do you know if your avionics shop made any changes regarding avionics cooling? With the Pacer's original "vent with scat hose aimed at avionics" I'm thinking moisture from outside may be a concern. I wonder if you can make a water trap (like under your sink with a small hole at the low point) or if it's better to just use a fan.

Chris
    No extra cooling installed. I removed the scat hose and blocked the scoop to prevent cold air to get in during the winter. The hose was not aiming at anything. I have no issues with avionics overheating, even when the Pacer is parked in the sun during the summer.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone gone through the field approval process for approving an installed GPS for IFR? This is for an STC'd box w/o an AML (non-WAAS Garmin 400-series). Was looking for a 337 template.

Regards,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't the Installation Manual walk you through what is needed? I think the 400 series non waas is STC'd. You will still need a flight manual supplement with it as I recall. STC’s #SA00705WI for the 430, #SA00801WI for the 420, and #SA00800WI for the 400. You might also want to review AC 23-22. You might also want to check out AvioncCPICov.PDF (aea.net)

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, the installation manual does not provide any samples.

Garmin provided an AML for the WAAS boxes but the non-WAAS 400/500 series were only STC'd for a PA-32 ... everything else, you're on your own. I've crossed the T's/dotted the I's ... connected the box to an altitude source, got it connected to a CDI, did all the tests stipulated in the installation manual, wrote an AFMS.

I don't have a working relationship with anyone at my FSDO so wanted to have all my stuff in one sock before I presented the paperwork ...

Regards,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Look also at AC 20-138D. Use the PA-32 STC as your basis, and the Field Approval as a deviation to that STC to allow its use on the PA-22. Your initial 337 will be for VFR only until you to the flight evaluation. Then you do a second 337 to remove the VFR limitation.

Follow AC43-210 for the Field Approvals, fill out the forms, the most important is the compliance checklist identifying how you comply with the given regulatory requirements. Use CAR 3 regulations since that is the certification basis for the airplane. FAA ASIs aren’t bound to using AC43-210, but as a DAR, I am. It’s a little more work, but if you follow the process, it’s pretty easy and ensures you’ve gotten everything.

Just for review, that certification checklist is that group of regulations from the certification basis that due to the alteration, the method that Piper used has changed and now you need to show compliance based on the new configuration. The 11/1/49 version of CAR 3 should be what you use.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk