Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: "IFR-ing" a PA-22-150

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "IFR-ing" a PA-22-150

I buy piper parts all the time.
    Apple while not an aviation company makes a product people rely upon heavily - not just in aviation
    Garmin gets high dollar value for these products that they choose to no longer support. If it costs too
    much to support "out dated tech" then they can let 3rd parties develop continuing support without
    concern for Garmin's agggressive legal litigation tactics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old3pacer View Post
    I buy piper parts all the time.
    Apple while not an aviation company makes a product people rely upon heavily - not just in aviation
    Garmin gets high dollar value for these products that they choose to no longer support. If it costs too
    much to support "out dated tech" then they can let 3rd parties develop continuing support without
    concern for Garmin's agggressive legal litigation tactics.
    Really, buy Piper parts? Not Univair. Not WagAero. But genuine Piper parts for your shortwing??? What do you think Piper would tell me if I called them and asked when they restarted parts production for the old tube and fabric airplanes?

Database updates for old Garmin devices are available through a third party (Jeppesen). Garmin is hardly the only company that doesn’t service their old products. BendixKing has a long list of discontinued products. The KT76 I am considering for my 150 is one.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have experience with the GNC-420? Does it require an additional indicator?

I currently have a couple of KX-170B's ... one's a little cranky and only one has an indicator for the NAV, sans G/S receiver. I'm thinking of putting the G/S receiver back in to regain the ILS capability but geez, I wonder if it's worth it hanging on to these old avionics, i.e., is it a false economy having 6+ lbs of old COM/NAV, G/S receiver and cranky Terra CDI to save a couple grand? Ach ...

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Iriarte; 01-07-2021 at 06:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The install manual for the 420w requires an external indicator in the pilot’s field of view for IFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Iriarte View Post
    Anyone have experience with the GNC-420? Does it require an additional indicator?

I currently have a couple of KX-170B's ... one's a little cranky and only one has an indicator for the NAV, sans G/S receiver. I'm thinking of putting the G/S receiver back in to regain the ILS capability but geez, I wonder if it's worth it hanging on to these old avionics, i.e., is it a false economy having 6+ lbs of old COM/NAV, G/S receiver and cranky Terra CDI to save a couple grand? Ach ...

Chris

Chris,

I went through the same struggle and made the decision to upgrade the panel. Grew up on steam gauges and the work fine, but why not show some love to a girl you're going to keep around for awhile. Treat her right and she will treat you right. Besides, so many airports have GPS approaches these days, and the new units give you near precision performance. I fly in WAAS enabled aircraft at work and the LPV approaches are incredible.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Greg,

Of course, you're right! The more I look at the 420 the more I like it. (The plane I fly for work doesn't have WAAS, although we mostly shoot ILS's. My home drome and a lot of the places I go to are LNAV only anyway. Maybe some day I'll get to experience an LPV!)

I just have to figure out how I want to solve the COM 1/VOR/ILS conundrum ... keep the old (and heavy!) stuff limping along or get something made during my lifetime ... in for a penny, in for a pound (or a few grand $$$) I suppose.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to consider when building up or updating a panel is how the VOR and ILS systems are disappearing. It may be slow but it is happening. A nice local airport with a fair amount of non-training instrument traffic lost the ILS and VOR approaches last year. They were replaced with all GPS approaches including 1 LPV. The VOR is scheduled to be fully decommissioned sometime in the near future.

I think GPS Navigation equipment is a different topic than flight instruments. Glass panels can be nice because navigation info can be displayed in the same place as flight info. I think replacing steam gauges with glass is a lot of expense for very little gain. (I installed the G5 because I didn’t have an attitude gyro and the G5 gave me much more at a lower price)

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff,

You make a good point ... probably not worth the trouble of reinstalling the G/S receiver. I can shoot a LOC/VOR approach with my current setup.

Adding a 420 would do the trick, and from what I'm reading (I found an install manual on the net), a 420 (w/o the "W") doesn't need an additional CDI for LNAV approaches.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Deleted... got the models mixed up.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 01-09-2021 at 09:06 AM.