Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GlareShield

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: GlareShield

Is that for the "flat" cockpit? I´ve a ´55 PA22.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NRW-Aviator View Post
    Is that for the "flat" cockpit? I´ve a ´55 PA22.
    Sorry, this one is not for pre 56' PA-22's.

Post Thanks / Like

Well our mold maker got a good start today on the mold. I hope next week he will be able to get a couple days in on it. Once he is done then we will run a couple peices and do some measuring. I will keep everyone informed as things progress. When we have one done I will post some pictures.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Very exciting Bruce! I have to imagine that you will have a market for these.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Think outside the box a bit on the shape of a new glare shield?

I have a 59 Pacer with the radio stack hump. Have most of us replaced the large WW2 surplus gyros with smaller gyros? Have most of us replaced the original radios with more modern smaller radios?

I have newer style gyros and modern radios. I also have a Woolsey panel STC: http://cedarcomm.com/~wdi/inst_pnl.htm

I point this out because there is a LOT of SPACE directly below my original plastic glare shield now.

When sitting in the pilot seat on my plane with the glare shield removed, objectively there is a tremendous improvement in over the nose viewing area, subjectively, there is a more open feel in the cockpit. Now the area is clear in a direct level viewing "line" from the top of the panel to the base of the windshield.

The original shield is much higher, is level (in flight) for 3/4 of the way to the windshield, blocks over the nose view much more than necessary in my plane.

Since modernizing my panel, I have always planned on making a replacement aluminum, fiberglass or Carbon replacement panel to take advantage of this newfound space.

My idea was to have the new glare shield shape go from the top of the panel, level (in a straight line) to the base of the windshield. The compass would now need a wedge, thicker forward in order to be level in flight if mounted on this new shape glare shield.

Am I clear on this idea? I realize this "new open area" is due to my modernized panel and radios. One size (or shape) fits all might not work for everyone like the original shape.
    Last edited by Jetfever; 10-20-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfever View Post
    Think outside the box a bit on the shape of a new glare shield?

I have a 59 Pacer with the radio stack hump. Have most of us replaced the large WW2 surplus gyros with smaller gyros? Have most of us replaced the original radios with more modern smaller radios?

I have newer style gyros and modern radios. I also have a Woolsey panel STC: http://cedarcomm.com/~wdi/inst_pnl.htm

I point this out because there is a LOT of SPACE directly below my original plastic glare shield now.

When sitting in the pilot seat on my plane with the glare shield removed, objectively there is a tremendous improvement in over the nose viewing area, subjectively, there is a more open feel in the cockpit. Now the area is clear in a direct level viewing "line" from the top of the panel to the base of the windshield.

The original shield is much higher, is level (in flight) for 3/4 of the way to the windshield, blocks over the nose view much more than necessary in my plane.

Since modernizing my panel, I have always planned on making a replacement aluminum, fiberglass or Carbon replacement panel to take advantage of this newfound space.

My idea was to have the new glare shield shape go from the top of the panel, level (in a straight line) to the base of the windshield. The compass would now need a wedge, thicker forward in order to be level in flight if mounted on this new shape glare shield.

Am I clear on this idea? I realize this "new open area" is due to my modernized panel and radios. One size (or shape) fits all might not work for everyone like the original shape.
    Jetfever I understand what you are saying. I am having the mold made to fit my application with the large stack because I am not changing the panel layout. I am lucky that my boss is allowing this to be done without any charge for shop time , I am just paying for materials. The normal charge on a wooden limited run mold is around $1500, and to have it made in aluminum for a long production time would be around $5000. The problem with a wooden mold is that they don't last long before they fall apart. I am not trying to start a business selling these, but I can supply a few for our members. Maybe if the mold is in good enough shape when I'm done it can be reworked to make some that would work for your application. Right now this is still a work in progress because we are using my old glare shield as the pattern. There will be some " trim to fit" that has to be done once I make one and try the fit.
    I am not saying that I will not make one for it , I'm just trying to get this one done first.

Post Thanks / Like

Well our mold maker has been very busy on some projects, but he has made some progress. He still has some shape issues he is working on but I think it's going good. Still needs a vacuum box installed too. Here are some pics. I still could use a good glare shield for the mold if anyone has one.IMG_0335.jpgIMG_0336.jpgIMG_0337.jpgIMG_0341.jpgIMG_0342.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, it is really coming along!

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

How 'bout adding this to the top where your ashtray used to go, or better yet, one on each side for pilot and copilot:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Surface-moun...-/170837273675

Imagine with a USB adaptor in there, you could charge phones, power tablets etc in flight, and operate your battery/cigar powered portable GPS or INT.
    Use velcro to attach it so it is not a "permanent" installation. And power it from the existing cigar socket with a home-made branching adaptor.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Way-Ciga.../dp/B0018NB3OK
    This was also interesting and what I am looking for, as my current cigar splitter only has two ports, which power my Pilot III GPS and my Intercom. This gadget has three cigar plugs and a USB outlet, tho the reviews on Amazon say it's poor quality. Anyone have a good device of this sort to recommend?

Sorry I went off topic... carry on...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Glen Geller; 11-08-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Rich,
    It is coming along quite well. We found a couple issues when I laid my glare shield on it. He worked on it this morning and things are looking good. As you can see in the pics my shield is in sad shape. I will post more next week if any progress has been made.
    Bruce