Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GlareShield

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: GlareShield

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfever View Post
    Think outside the box a bit on the shape of a new glare shield?

I have a 59 Pacer with the radio stack hump. Have most of us replaced the large WW2 surplus gyros with smaller gyros? Have most of us replaced the original radios with more modern smaller radios?

I have newer style gyros and modern radios. I also have a Woolsey panel STC: http://cedarcomm.com/~wdi/inst_pnl.htm

I point this out because there is a LOT of SPACE directly below my original plastic glare shield now.

When sitting in the pilot seat on my plane with the glare shield removed, objectively there is a tremendous improvement in over the nose viewing area, subjectively, there is a more open feel in the cockpit. Now the area is clear in a direct level viewing "line" from the top of the panel to the base of the windshield.

The original shield is much higher, is level (in flight) for 3/4 of the way to the windshield, blocks over the nose view much more than necessary in my plane.

Since modernizing my panel, I have always planned on making a replacement aluminum, fiberglass or Carbon replacement panel to take advantage of this newfound space.

My idea was to have the new glare shield shape go from the top of the panel, level (in a straight line) to the base of the windshield. The compass would now need a wedge, thicker forward in order to be level in flight if mounted on this new shape glare shield.

Am I clear on this idea? I realize this "new open area" is due to my modernized panel and radios. One size (or shape) fits all might not work for everyone like the original shape.
    My seats in the Colt are original 1961 foam and fabric I believe, and you kinda sink down sitting in the seat. I'm 5'9", and I think visibility would be greatly improved without the hump.

Post Thanks / Like

Put the recommended three layers of CONFOR foam in the seat bottom. It will raise you up and feel much better.
    http://www.seatfoam.com/. Hi Tech foams can fix you up and they are great supporters of the SHORT WING PIPER CLUB.
    Sure made my seat bottom more comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gilbert. I'll check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Well our mold guy finally worked on the mold this morning. He hopes to get a vac box on this week so we can form a trial part. Is there anyone in the Kansas City area that might help me with checking the fit? Since I did not take my Colt apart I am not sure where it should sit. If someone can post some pics. that would help too.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce,
    I'll try to take some pic's of my panel opening tomorrow. I have the glare-shield off installing a new transponder and some other stuff. Found the screws holding down the glare-shield on my airplane are steel and it makes my compass swing a little with the screw installed in front of the compass. Going to use all stainless when I reinstall the glare-shield.
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kloudking1 View Post
    Bruce,
    I'll try to take some pic's of my panel opening tomorrow. I have the glare-shield off installing a new transponder and some other stuff. Found the screws holding down the glare-shield on my airplane are steel and it makes my compass swing a little with the screw installed in front of the compass. Going to use all stainless when I reinstall the glare-shield.
    Tony
    Thanks Tony. That should help alot.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Tony - before you use the stainless screws check them with a magnet.
    If they stick they will probably be no better than steel as they are probably ferritic stainless. If you really want to tin plate your bum (sorry about the pun) use brass screws for the same reason they are used in instrument mounts - they don't have any magnetic properties.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Curly. Going to check them for sure. The place I'm getting them from assured me that they are non-magnetic so we'll see. I ordered stainless finish washers also. I can get brass hardware if I need to.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

I know its been a while, but the mold is done as of last friday we have been very busy! Today I was able to get some fresh run ABS sheets. I hope to run a few test pieces by the end of this week !!! If the "fit" looks right then we will check the thickness. Can anyone get a good measurement of the thickness ?? Mine looks like about .125" thick. The sheet we are using is .156" so thats close enough to check the overall fit, and maybe good enough to use for the final part.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce,
    That is exciting. If my Pacer wasn't a 40 minute drive away I would run out and measure it for you.

Can someone throw a micrometer of their glareshield for Bruce?

Rich