Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For the Wreckord

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default For the Wreckord

NTSB Identification: WPR12CA401
    14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
    Accident occurred Tuesday, September 04, 2012 in Lewiston, ID
    Aircraft: PIPER PA-22-108, registration: N4798Z
    Injuries: 1 Uninjured.
    After departure from an uncontrolled airport, the pilot was advised by personnel at the airport that they saw the left main wheel and tire fall off the airplane. The pilot decided to continue to the accident airport. After flying around to decrease the amount of fuel on the airplane, he landed using runway 30. The airplane pulled to the right until it departed the right side of the runway and tipped onto its nose. The airplane sustained substantial damage to the right wing spar. The pilot reported that he examined the main wheel bearings 2 days prior to the accident for the correct spindle nut tension. He believes that the left wheel spindle nut cotter pin was inadvertently omitted or not installed correctly during the wheel reinstallation on the airplane. He said that a more thorough inspection of the wheel bearing service work should have been performed, and that a more thorough pre-flight inspection could have caught the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: For the Wreckord

IDENTIFICATION
    Regis#: 3609Z Make/Model: PA22 Description: PA-22 Tri-Pacer, Caribbean, Colt
    Date: 10/12/2012 Time: 1852

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
    Damage: Minor

DESCRIPTION
    AIRCRAFT LANDED AND GROUND LOOPED, SAN MARCOS, TX

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
    # Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
    # Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
    # Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

OTHER DATA
    Activity: Pleasure Phase: Landing Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: SAN ANTONIO, TX (SW17) Entry date: 10/15/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    After departure from an uncontrolled airport, the pilot was advised by personnel at the airport that they saw the left main wheel and tire fall off the airplane.
    Had that happen on an RC airplane once... I remember thinking how bad that would suck if I was flying the real thing and had that happen.
    Last edited by Jinkers; 10-15-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Somewhere in Seymour Canal south of Juneau there is a Cherokee landing gear, wheel pant and all, that fell off after dangling by the brake line for a while. They found a torque link bolt on the runway the next day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

On October 26, 2012, about 1650 central daylight time, a Grumman American Aviation Corp. AA-5A, N26380, and a Piper PA-22, N2633A, were substantially during a ground collision at H. L. Sonny Callahan Airport (CQF), Fairhope, Alabama. The certificated commercial pilot of the Piper, and the certificated private pilot and the passenger aboard the Grumman were not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for either of the personal flights, which were both conducted under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

According to the pilot of the Grumman, he arrived at the airport around 1500 to begin the preflight inspection of the airplane, which included a visual inspection of the tires. About 1620, the pilot and the passenger departed for a local flight, and at the conclusion of the flight, returned to CQF from the east. About 3 to 4 miles from the airport, the pilot advised via radio that he would cross overhead of the airport and enter on the left downwind leg of the traffic pattern for landing on runway 01. After entering the traffic pattern, the pilot observed the Piper on taxiway Alpha 2, and announced that he was turning onto the base, then final legs of the traffic pattern. The pilot of the Grumman stated that he did not hear transmissions from any other airplanes while in the traffic pattern, and noted that the Piper had remained stationary on the taxiway.

The pilot of the Grumman stated that his airplane touched down about 500 feet down the runway, and rolled another 300 to 400 feet before it suddenly veered left. The pilot responded by applying the right toe brake, which momentarily corrected the airplane’s track, but the airplane continued off the left side of the runway toward the Piper. The Grumman subsequently departed the runway south of taxiway Alpha 2, continued to turn left, and its left wing contacted the propeller of the Piper. The Grumman then pivoted to the left, and the propeller of the Grumman contacted the wing of the Piper. Upon exiting the airplane, the pilot of the Grumman noted that his airplane’s left tire appeared to be “flat.”

According to the pilot of the Piper, following an uneventful preflight inspection and run up of the engine, he approached the runway from taxiway Alpha 2. After hearing no other traffic on the radio, the pilot of the Piper turned his airplane to gain an unobstructed view of the final approach path, and observed the Grumman as it was on final approach to the runway. He then stopped his airplane about 75 feet short of the runway edge in order to wait for the Grumman to land. The pilot watched as the Grumman landed, veered off the left side of the runway, struck a taxiway marker, and impacted the Piper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

On September 17, 2012, about 1200 Alaska daylight time, a Piper PA-22-160 airplane, N8433D, sustained substantial damage when it collided with terrain while maneuvering at a low altitude, about 15 miles south of Talkeetna, Alaska. The airplane was being operated by Alaska Floats and Skis, Talkeetna, as a visual flight rules (VFR) instructional flight, under the provisions of Title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 91, when the accident occurred. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed. The certificated flight instructor received serious injuries, and the private pilot received minor injuries. The flight departed Talkeetna about 1150.

In a written statement to the NTSB dated October 1, the flight instructor reported that after departing from the Talkeetna Airport, they flew south towards Willow, Alaska. The pilot flew along the Susitna River at 200 AGL to work on coordination, and get the feel of the airplane. After about 10 minutes the flight instructor took control of the airplane, and made a left turn toward a gravel bar on the east side of the river. The flight instructor said that during the turn the nose started to drop, the airplane descended, and it sounded like the speed was increasing. He then added engine power, leveled the wings, and released the back pressure on the control yoke, trying to break any stall, but the airplane continued to descend. As the airplane approached the ground, he added more back pressure on the control yoke with no response. The airplane impacted the ground, sustaining substantial damage to the wings and fuselage.

The flight instructor reported that there were no preaccident mechanical anomalies with the airplane

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,
    when the 33D accident was reported I could tell there was a lot of questions unanswered and then after the NTSB report was issued it was even less clear what happened.

As much as I hate reading the things these NTSB reports are an excellent learning tool but when key information is left out there is little for us to do other then shake our heads and wonder…or worse, speculate.

I would have liked to have known if she was on floats?

Not much the pilot of 33A could have done without beta besides broadcasting the usual exclamations. The clearing turn the tripacer pilot performed on the tarmac saved his life and most likely a couple others. Operating on floats and skis off airport most of the time I know I am not in the habit of doing this every time...but I (we) need to be.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Ground loop for Piper

September 24, 2013 by Meg Godlewski Leave a Comment
    Aircraft: Piper Clipper. Injuries: None. Location: Muskegan, Mich. Aircraft damage: Substantial.
    What reportedly happened: The pilot was accompanied by a flight instructor. During the attempted takeoff, the tailwheel-equipped airplane veered and ground looped toward the right, then nosed over.
    The pilot stated that he did not apply left rudder soon enough to avoid the loss of directional control.
    The flight instructor stated that when the airplane began to veer he attempted to apply corrective control input, but the pilot was applying opposite control input and did not reduce engine power as he was instructed.
    Probable cause: The pilot’s loss of directional control during the takeoff roll and the flight instructor’s inability to apply remedial action due to the opposite corrective control inputs by the pilot.
    NTSB Identification: CEN11LA642

http://www.generalaviationnews.com/2...oop-for-piper/

Post Thanks / Like

I buddy gave me this shot of my babbydoll after it blew 150 mph and ripped the right wing struts out of the wing. This was in 2004 I think. I had only flown her one time the day before.

I forgot how snazzy she looked before I monochromed her black.

Rocket

62Zupsidedown.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of my favorites. Take a look at it and you tell me what stands out as odd:

Date:
    28-OCT-1977
    Time:
    17:15
    Type:
    Piper PA-22
    Owner/operator:
    Private
    N1216C
    C/n / msn:
    Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 6
    Airplane damage: