Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel hose

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel hose

It's time to replace the fuel lines at the wing root.
    I have used H 6000 hose in the past but had a hard time working it onto the fittings and tubing in that confined space.
    Is there any hose that is more flexible, easier to work with and meets the TSO?
    I saw an earlier post about an Aeroquip FC647. But as far as I can tell it still doesn't meet the TSO.

Thanks

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fuel hose

Don

Use a little Dow Corning #4 lube on the line that you slip your hoses on..... Makes working with 6000 easy.... Once they are clamped in place they wont go anywhere and the DC-4 dissipates over time.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

frogdad,

I too use lube while assembling 6000 hose over the tubing: lubraplate.

6000 hose is exactly what you want in the wing root for many reasons not so soft that it kinks and durable enough that if the wing root area became compromised, say during a wing bending encounter with an unmovable object, one is less likely to become a barbecue.

In my shop I buy as little of the hose as posable and make sure the vender sends out only the freshest hose. if the cure date on the hose is more then two or three years old this stuff gets to be too stiff.

With some of the larger sizes I will get my section of hose nice and warm with a heat lamp or heat gun…mindful of any explosive vapors or sexual innuendo. You will find the hose much easer to manipulate warm, with a little lube inside, and of course just the right length.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don, I have done like Brian and had great success. I also tried some of this http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...rsuperflex.php Mil6000 says not for fuel now days, not sure how to determine what is legal. i suppose they are considered common hardware items. This new stuff is super flexible.

Post Thanks / Like

Univair has PMA'd fuel hoses for the wing root pre-cut to size. They are for aviation gasoline only though. Very expensive @ about $10 each piece.

Post Thanks / Like

New hoses are on. I found some 6000 hose with a 2011 date, so I went with that.
    I'm not sure why Spruce now says not for fuel. If it meets TSO-C53a, it should be legal. I only use avgas and the 6000 hose that I removed still looked good.
    Thanks for the good advice. The lubricant and heat made it a much easier job.

Don

Dundee,(Weston)NY and Hernando ,( Holder) Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

I came in here looking for fuel hose/line whatever for the short lines in a PA-22. I know why ASC and Univair say not to use MS6000 for gasoline. I have seen two different pieces closed up from running mogas, which is what I use. I use only clean gas ( no Ethanol) ,but so did these two fellows. Apparently there is something in some formulations of gasoline that will do this. I have never heard of this happening using Avgas. I would run aoutomotive fuel line and use the best I can find,but I am sure this is not legal. I have 600 hrs on a kitfox that has always run mogas with no problem. What are your suggestions or is there a fuel line out there that I am not aware of that will carry all fuels. Thanx, Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have not had a problem with Mil6000 but have also used the alternative fuel line Spruce sells list linked in my post above.

Dundee,(Weston)NY and Hernando ,( Holder) Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fuel line, wing to fuselage

What are you using for fuel line for the wing to fuselage connection? This bird will use both autogas and 100LL. Thanks for any help. Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: fuel line, wing to fuselage

6000 series mil speck hose... AC Spruce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk