Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Oil Change

Post Thanks / Like

Default oil change tips

My posts are usually noob at best, so fair warning - search function did not help, and nothing on YouTube.

Is there a post with basic tips pointers on PA22 / PA20 O-320 oil change ?
    My recent annual has oil change on the billed list, but frankly don't believe it got done. Was gonna do it myself, possibly send oil for evaluation, though runs like a top, starts first time, sounds perfect.

Goal is to avoid making a mess.

thanks in advance - N23RB, NorCal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: oil change tips

What leads you to believe it was not done?
    Based on the limited info of the circumstances of your annual, here's what comes to mind.

If you have not flown too many hours since the annual (<10), a quick check of the oil on the dipstick might indicate if it was changed.
    Fresh oil is golden, transparent and smells fresh.
    After 5-10 hours it will become somewhat brown and smell a bit burnt, even if it is not actually burnt.
    20+ hours it will be brown and fairly opaque.
    Got an oil filter? It will have a date written on it at the last replacement. If they billed you for a filter and your plane is not so equipped, you need to have a talk with your mechanic.
    Look in your hangar trash can, are there several empty oil bottles?
    Check the engine log book and see if there is an entry for oil change during the annual.

Ask the person who did your last annual to confirm the oil was changed.
    Refer to the regs so you log the oil change in the logbook, and you must be competent with lockwire techniques etc to do it safely.
    If you are unsure get help some an experienced/qualified person.
    Losing your drain bolt in flight can spoil your day.
    http://airplaneownermaintenance.com/...rplane-owners/

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: First Oil Change

I found a similar thread with some good information and merged them. Do you have an oil filter or the original oil screen? If you have the oil screen be sure and inspect the corners of the oil screen housing. Have found them cracked from years of torqueing the bolts. They should be torqued to 96 inch pounds. Be careful with the oil temperature bulb removal. That brass and copper tube is full of freon and if kinked it escapes and will no longer work. I put rags under the oil screen housing to keep from getting oil in the muffler shroud, makes a huge mess.

Post Thanks / Like

How many hours do you fly per year? I usually don't do oil changes during the annual. I have an oil filter and change the oil every 50 hours, which means for me at least two oil changes per year. The 50 hours never line up with the date of the annual.
    If you don't fly much, then you may do the oil change during the annual and as described above, you should be able to tell if the oil in your engine is fresh.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Screens and sump drain plugs are required annual inspection items along with wheel bearings, which is another item owners like to slide on. If the mechanic is a stickler for details he may have done it just to complete the checklist. It may also simply be a case where he forgot to delete the item from a standardized bill he uses for annual inspections. The only way to “know” is to ask the mechanic.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 05-03-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Oil Change

Yes, I did a search ,and did not find a satisfactory thread . I am nearing my first oil change as a Hanger owner. Want to save money and do my own, and looking for a video on How to correctly change the oil and clean the screens on a Lycoming 0-320 in a 56 PA 22/20.
    Mostly concerned about the screens. Yes, mechanically inclined but wise enough to seek advice on something I have never done.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oil Change

Following. I'd like to see this myself. I told my mechanic that I'd like for him to show me how to do it first before tackling it on my own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I merged your thread with another. It gives the part numbers for the gasket and lock washers along with the proper torque. I installed a reusable Challenger oil filter on my own plane because I hate removing the screen house and disturbing the oil temperature probe. Check those screen housing ears for cracks. I looked but couldn't find a cracked one in my stash or any pictures. Just use the 96 inch lbs torque and look it over good.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...erLifetime.php

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I catch the oil that comes out of the screen housing with a cut off plastic bottle placed under the housing.