Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What gear do I have?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What gear do I have?

A friend of mine bent a gear leg on his Pacer. We are trying to determine what gear to order. The old gear looks like it was original 1 1/4" axle gear and has been modified to 1 1/2" axle. Looks like someone sleeved the larger axle over the smaller and welded into place. It has single puck Cessna type braked installed. Univair list original style gear with the smaller axle. They also have the newer wider gear with the larger axle. Is this Univair wide gear or is this original gear that has been modified? Which gear do we order? Thanks in advance for any help given.Roset welds in axle.jpgSmallere inner axle.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What gear do I have?

Original Pacer gear used a 1 1/4" axle. If you can get some dimensions of the good gear and I can tell you if it is wide or narrow.

Wide gear.
    100_5157.jpg

Narrow gear.
    100_5436.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Charlieaileron,

The first picture of the gear you attached shows a fairing installed on the trailing edge. The narrow gear never had a fairing. Univair only sells the wide gear. 1 1/4 axle is PMA'd for the Pacer. The 1 1/2" is under STC from them. The question is....will they sell you the 1 1/2 axle for the Pacer without the STC?

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Both gear have been removed from the plane and the plane and gear are at a distant airport so I can't get you any width measurements. From the pictures you posted I believe we have Univair wide gear that was originally 1 1/4" axle but someone modified the gear to 1 1/2" axle to use the single puck Cessna type brake. Both gear have the fairing on the rear. The owner showed me an STC and a 337 for when the Cessna single puck brakes were installed so I guess they are legal. We will order new 1 1/2" gear from Univair for both sides. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

The big question here is "is this an original PA-20 Pacer or a converted PA-22 Tri-Pacer..??"

If its a 20, then the gear is modified... If a 22, then it is possible that it has the Raven gear conversion and not the Univair conversion..... If its a 22, look through the 337's and log book to verify the conversion BEFORE buying the parts... That way you get the correct gear for the already installed STC.

Brian.

PS.. Raven is still in business located in S. California

Post Thanks / Like

Have Googled trying to track down Raven re their gear conversion mod without any luck so far.
    Does anyone have their contact details?
    Many thanks in advance.
    HunterJ

Post Thanks / Like

I searched the FAA STC site and did not find anything under "Raven". I did find Lucas aircraft in california. http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...C?OpenDocument

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 61Chuck View Post
    I searched the FAA STC site and did not find anything under "Raven". I did find Lucas aircraft in california. http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...C?OpenDocument
    Same gear..... New owner....

I have his number at work, did not see this before so it will have to wait until Monday before I can look it up.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian,
    Did Rick Locke sell Raven or just open up an new business name?

John
    Utah Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPacer View Post
    Brian,
    Did Rick Locke sell Raven or just open up an new business name?

John
    Utah Pacer
    Rick is the current owner......

Frank (cant remember his last name) was the original owner.

Brian.

P.S. - 661-345-7755 - Contact number for Rick... Located in Kernville, CA.
    Last edited by stevesaircraft(Bri); 12-03-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Had some wrong info posted.