Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Wheel Landings

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wheel Landings

He was referring to us watching the 5-6 P51s and the AeroShell T6s take off every morning and do a formation Dawn patrol. I know what he was taking about because we sat there every morning drinking coffee, watching them and discussing it. One person in a formation flights screws up the lead is held responsible and it gets pretty serious. Air Bosses don't like screw ups because there are spectators and the FAA. I use to go to airshows every weekend with a group of warbirds and have seen this first hand. The bad pilot's are black balled and not asked to return. The guys I was associated with were very serious about it because it effected them. They take those low level wavers etc very seriously.

Post Thanks / Like

His observation certainly makes more sense in that light. THOSE pilots could be considered to have put in the time to become proficient and be experts for what they fly.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff I think you missed my point.

Gilbert was specifically referring to the accomplished war bird pilots that fly the air show at Airventure. No where did I intend to imply or use the word all.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 10-07-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

No Gilbert didn’t use the word “all” but until Steve stated who was actually being watched I had no way of knowing you didn’t mean “all” because there was nothing said that I took to mean only airshow pilots were being referred too. I am reasonably sure that more than just airshow performers can be observed from the burn line.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 10-08-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Purchased my first tailwheel aircraft "Vagabond" earlier this year. Appreciate reading techniques/strategies used for 3 point and wheel landings discussed in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rideandfly View Post
    Purchased my first tailwheel aircraft "Vagabond" earlier this year. Appreciate reading techniques/strategies used for 3 point and wheel landings discussed in this thread.
    Bill, enjoy your Vagabond. The great part about a tailwheel airplane is that you have options as far as how to land. With a nosewheel, you are so much more limited. Learn all your options to have them in your bag of tools.

Juergen

Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    Bill, enjoy your Vagabond. The great part about a tailwheel airplane is that you have options as far as how to land. With a nosewheel, you are so much more limited. Learn all your options to have them in your bag of tools.

Juergen

Pacer N3342Z
    Juergen,

Most of my time has been in tri-gear aircraft for 40 years. It's back to basics for me flying the Vag and I love it. Appreciate the insight shared here in threads like this one!!!! Have a C85 in this Vag and it's a real performer, too!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Being a firm believer in whatever works being fine is a pretty wise response.
    The argument over three point vs wheel landings will never be over.
    I have a Vagabond and almost always wheel land it, but whatever works for you is what you should do.
    Vags are great. Mine has a C90 and it's a hoot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carey Gray View Post
    Being a firm believer in whatever works being fine is a pretty wise response.
    The argument over three point vs wheel landings will never be over.
    I have a Vagabond and almost always wheel land it, but whatever works for you is what you should do.
    Vags are great. Mine has a C90 and it's a hoot.
    Bet your Vag is a great performer!!!!!!!

Some weeks I get to fly 3 or 4 times. Have the most fun working on Vag landings.
    Last edited by rideandfly; 10-15-2018 at 07:42 PM.