Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Polyfiber Medium -4 Fabric

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default New Polyfiber Medium -4 Fabric

Didn't get my order of fabric when i expected it and when I called to check on it I found out Polyfiber had changed vendors and the FAA was just certifying the new fabric. Well I didn't find out it had arrived at the shop until today so i got it out and compared it to medium-3. I like it, finer weave, not as course nor as stiff. Haven't shrunk it yet but I think it will be like the old medium which I liked a lot better than the -3 which was just a shade under the weight of the heavy. Will report back when we shrink some.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Polyfiber Medium -4 Fabric

Nice, look forward to hear how working with it goes!

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have about 10 yards of the Med 3?

Post Thanks / Like

Use SuperFlight. Much better stuff than the stiff partially shrunk PF MEDIUM 4 if you can't find some Medium 3.

Post Thanks / Like

I have enough to cover one side of the wings. So worst case, I'm going to use the Medium 4 on the bottom and Medium 3 on the top of the wings. That way when one walks up the back of the wing, the fuselage and top of the wing will be in the same fabric.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    I have enough to cover one side of the wings. So worst case, I'm going to use the Medium 4 on the bottom and Medium 3 on the top of the wings. That way when one walks up the back of the wing, the fuselage and top of the wing will be in the same fabric.
    I needed more fabric when i was covering my fuselage, one side Ceconite, and the other side was Superflite. After shrinking and coatings, you can't tell the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

If I was just working with an IA, I might be able to slip it by him that I wasn't following the Poly Fiber STC. My IA is me, so slipping it by will be hard. You see my problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    If I was just working with an IA, I might be able to slip it by him that I wasn't following the Poly Fiber STC. My IA is me, so slipping it by will be hard. You see my problem?
    Using Stewart System, both approved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RobertC View Post
    Using Stewart System, both approved.
    I have been hoarding old certified 1.7 oz Ceconite. I scored a roll of it at OSH last summer. I patch and mix it with 2.3 oz and can't tell the difference. Using Stewart I have lots of flexibility.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I first saw the Stewart System at the Vancouver 2005 SWPC convention. There are lots of features that make the covering system appealing, but I just can't pour out all of that Poly Brush, Poly Spray, and Poly Tone. I think you'll understand, which leaves me hoping I can find some Medium 3. If not, no worry. If the texture is noticeably different, and I suspect it isn't, the Medium 4 won't be in the same plane of view. As for the Stewart System I suspect we will all be using it or Oratex Fabric because of VOC's in the end.