Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Polyfiber Medium -4 Fabric

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Polyfiber Medium -4 Fabric

since the fabric for ceconite comes from the same mill, is this fabirc used with the ceconite name with a new or dash suffix?
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Andy
    they just stamp it Polyfiber or Ceconite

same stuff same bat channel

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    since the fabric for ceconite comes from the same mill, is this fabirc used with the ceconite name with a new or dash suffix?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    So Jim,
    How does your paperwork read?

Aircraft covered I/A/W STC SA1008WE, except Superflite Fabric was used instead of Poly Fiber Med 3, refer to Page 29.

Why do that? Is Superflite a lot cheaper?
    Steve knows:
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Unless they screw up and then they let you mix Coconut fabric with the Poly fiber process. All the other systems just require certified fabric.
    Clayton, I'm using the Stewarts Process, which also only requires STC-PMA or TSO C15d/AMS 3806D fabric.
    Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 23.23.16.jpg

BTW, the IA I mentioned earlier doesn't like this new-fangled water based stuff. He also won't sign off any airplanes besides the ones he restores, he isn't the IA mentoring me.

I've discussed similar situations with my IA, his simple answer is you add a copy of the FAA approval (PMA-AML) to the logbooks, just like the PMA tags from the replacement ribs, etc. and sign it off as such. It is a PMA used in the accomplishment of the STC. This article talks about the difference between OEM (PolyFiber/Ceconite) versus PMA (Superflite)

http://www.aviationpros.com/article/...e-a-difference

Dan Stewart told me he had people taking him to task that the wingtip STC was not legal because it uses J-3 ribs that are PMA parts but aren't approved for the PA-22.

The new Poly fiber fabric is a tighter weave and the Stewarts coatings don't perpetrate it like they do Super fight fabric. The new Poly fiber fabric is harder to work with and you don't get the absorption that you got in the old fabric. I spoke with John at length about this.
    This is why Stewarts sold me the SF102 and the Ceconite 104 for the tapes. Yes, they use the light fabric tapes and don't like Superflite's lightweight tapes! I have a written statement from them that my IA is including in the paperwork.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,
    I couldn't decide if this thread or you one about covering your wings was the one on which to post. If I understand, you are recovering your "Pacer" wings because of a rib stitch failure.
    I had a spool of rib stitch from years ago when I was working on a Bellanca. I looked sort of tan, but it was flat like the Poly Fiber tread that I bought for this project. I could have used it, I guess, "no markings on it". I'm guessing it may have been approved at one time. Funny thing though, I could break it with my hands. I gave it to the instructor who teaches "Non Metallics" at the AIM A&P school as an example of needing to follow the STC.
    IF you get an A&P, and 3 years later an IA, because you are a professional freight pilot, you will probably need to go to IA refreshers courses like you do for your CFI. If you go to the good ones, the one you pay to attend, LIABILITY and the sharing of that will be a topic. You will learn that following an STC exactly, shares that liability with the STC holder, or at least gives you a chance for an expert witness in your defense.
    As for the wisdom of the Stewarts, they are smart with their STCs, in allowing lots latitude.
    I wish you good luck on your recovering job. I hope you have no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

The new Poly fiber fabric is a tighter weave and the Stewarts coatings don't perpetrate it like they do Super fight fabric. The new Poly fiber fabric is harder to work with and you don't get the absorption that you got in the old fabric. I spoke with John at length about this.
    Hi Steve, I have read through this thread a couple of times just to get it in stone, for myself, as to what exactly has Poly-fiber done to it medium fabric that switches the 3 to a 4? I know I am in the clear because I followed the STC instructions to the f..ing letter (quote) yet it was here my attention was drawn to this change from 3 to 4.
    I used up the last of some leftover fabric from a plane I covered back in 08 on my interior. Today I zoomed in on a picture I took and saw the F.A.A-P.M.A. stamp, "medium-3". I covered everything else in what I purchased the beginning of this year, Poly-fiber Medium-5.
    Medium 5, does this only mean the weave has gotten tighter? Anything else about this designation change? Im sure this tighter weave has changed its weight some also

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All the 5 means is that is was manufactured after the 3 and the 4. Every time they get a new run of fabric they have to inspect and test it to be sure it meets the spec. There end up being variances in the material thus the version 3, 4 5. This is so they know what version it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I gotcha, like a lot number reference. It just so happened that you noticed your 4 was a tighter weave than the 3 before. I wouldn't think it would ever be so different than the last as to be noticeable in its final finish. Thanks for the quick Sunday reply.
    Bill