Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Polyfiber Medium -4 Fabric

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Polyfiber Medium -4 Fabric

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    I first saw the Stewart System at the Vancouver 2005 SWPC convention. There are lots of features that make the covering system appealing, but I just can't pour out all of that Poly Brush, Poly Spray, and Poly Tone. I think you'll understand, which leaves me hoping I can find some Medium 3. If not, no worry. If the texture is noticeably different, and I suspect it isn't, the Medium 4 won't be in the same plane of view. As for the Stewart System I suspect we will all be using it or Oratex Fabric because of VOC's in the end.
    Clyde,

I was also at that Vancouver convention and first saw the Stewart system. I now what you mean, I have cans of Polyfiber stuff. I just finished redoing my fuselage, replacing about 25% of the fabric using the Stewart system....my finish coat was Polytone and, I am happy with the look...next time I park next to Gilbert...I will look more respectible.

BTW...Gilbert....laps are cool!!
    Last edited by Stephen; 04-27-2014 at 08:57 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Clyde,

I was also at that Vancouver convention and first saw the Stewart system. I now what you mean, I have cans of Polyfiber stuff. I just finished redoing my fuselage, replacing about 25% of the fabric using the Stewart system....my finish coat was Polytone and, I am happy with the look...next time I park next to Gilbert...I will look more respectible.

...laps are cool? Stephen it looks like your auto spell is tricking you or you are smelling too much solvent. Make the change now to Stewarts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Clay, I don't think you will be able to tell the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I suspect you are right. I'm going to do some call though. That can't hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Clyde,

Yes laps are cool but flaps just add drag, weight, and complexity. Spell checkers are dangerous.

Post Thanks / Like

If I was just working with an IA, I might be able to slip it by him that I wasn't following the Poly Fiber STC. My IA is me, so slipping it by will be hard. You see my problem?
    Clayton,

According to Superflite they have approval to replace the PolyFiber/Ceconite fabrics.

http://www.superflite.com/cms/superf...ement%2025.pdf
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,
    I don't think one company can just decide to change the fabric used to their own company's fabric from the original company's fabric named in the STC. Anyone chime in here.
    Anyway, I got on the phone and found and bought 10 yds of Medium 3 at Weber Aero Repair in MN, talk to Kevin. They are the Bellanca repair center in sight of the Bellanca Factory there in Alexandria. I also found 3 or 4 yds of Medium 3 at Wick's and some at STITS LITE BY F&M ENTERPRISES in Granbury, TX. If you just need a small amount to finish a project, it is still out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,
    I don't think one company can just decide to change the fabric used to their own company's fabric from the original company's fabric named in the STC. Anyone chime in here.
    Anyway, I got on the phone and found and bought 10 yds of Medium 3 at Weber Aero Repair in MN, talk to Kevin. They are the Bellanca repair center in sight of the Bellanca Factory there in Alexandria. I also found 3 or 4 yds of Medium 3 at Wick's and some at STITS LITE BY F&M ENTERPRISES in Granbury, TX. If you just need a small amount to finish a project, it is still out there.
    They have PMA approval from the FAA, it is all listed in the link I posted. Just like using a different light bulb (I know I shouldn't go there) or any other part manufactured by a non-OEM company. Take a look, I didn't believe it at first myself.

Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 23.10.23.jpg

Regardless, glad you found enough to finish your project.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Hann; 04-28-2014 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Changed screen shot to show column headers
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Yes laps are cool but flaps just add drag, weight, and complexity. Spell checkers are dangerous.
    Got to stop posting late at night (which is anytime after 5 pm).
    Yup, laps are cool.
    Last edited by Stephen; 04-28-2014 at 11:21 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I was told by a Stits distributor back in the mid 90's that ceconite and stits fabrics came from the same manufacture, same mill.
    "Progress is our most important problem"