Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Climb props on a tri-pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Climb props on a tri-pacer

Hello everybody. Im new to this page but Ive been reading a lot of the threads.
    I have a question about climb props. I have a PA-22-160 with a Sensenich 74DM6-0-61 prop. Almost all of my flying is a 28 mile hop transporting people and cargo to and from our summerhouse, landing on an 800-1.100 foot sand strip (depends on the tide). A short takeoff loaded means the world to me, and Im prepared to sacrifice some miles in cruise speed to that effect.
    Does anyone have any experiance using a borer prop on a tri-pacer, the McCauley 1A175/GM824X? If so, what pitch would you recommend? Does it pull better then the Sensenich 74DM6-0-58? What kind of effect does it have on takeoff and cruise? Any problems with ground clearance?
    Sorry about this torrent of questions. Any stories and recommendations would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Climb props on a tri-pacer

the Sensenich 74DM6-0-58 would be a good choice for your use. You will find much better short field and climb performance with maybe only 3-4 mph loss in cruise at a same power setting
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm reading it correctly the -58 is just a repitch of your prop.

$200 & shipping is my guess.

Post Thanks / Like

You will not lose any cruise speed - you just run a higher RPM and a lower Manifold Pressure - I use to run a 61 - then went to a 58 - the airplane was just as fast wide open at a higher RPM - cruise the same at about 50 rpm more - used 1/2GPH LESS with the 58 at the same Speed - and climbed better. I currently have a 135HP that I when from a 55 to a low side of 53 - same top speed (and I get full rated RPM) same cruise at 50 RPM more - less fuel - way better climb. The 58 pitch would still be the most bite I would run on the 160 - I would consider a 56 for short field ops - still crusie at 125mph or more. Here are my verfied stats on my light weight 135 Pacer - top speed 143mph, cruise at 120 at 2450 @ 7.3gph, climb solo 1200fpm at 2500 rpm.

Post Thanks / Like

Alittle more input - Check your Tach with an electronic Tach check - pitch your 74" prop to give the full allowable static (or close) RPM with is 2450rpm- as an example - say your static rpm now is 2200 with a 61" - then a 56" pitch would bring you up to the 2450.(average up to 50 rpm per pitch change- so when you go to the prop shop - have them check the existing angles first - then just change to the appropriate amount of pitch) You can cruise the 56 the same Air Speed as the 61 at a higher rpm and lower mp on the same fuel and it is easier on the engine - the 61 is like going up a hill in high gear. The Borer Prop might brake ground 50 ft earier - but is meant for a Cub climbing at 55-60mph - at our best rate of 85-87mph - the borer is like trying to go down the freeway in first gear - just doesn't have enough pitch - a 74" dia that gives full static is the best prop for our best rate climb speeds- I have experimented for 35yrs on 17 different planes- the 74" with max static is the way to go on wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Pacer 24C, great explanation, in terms even us old guys can understand!! You are correct about the affect of the Borer on an Pacer, jumps off the ground, but can't get to 100 MPH, even down hill!! Ha Ha. Also, a Borer on a Tri-Pacer might get close to the nose tire & ground as well. In any case, the 74 X 56 - 58 looks to be the answer. Enjoy the day,

John
    Utah Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Sensenich 74DM6-0-58 on my 550 PA22-150, actually a -61 repitched & stamped as -58 and it was like that when I bought the plane eight years ago.
    I have not done emperical tests but I do generally have a shorter roll and better climb than my hangarmates with the origianl -61. They seem to be a couple mph faster in cruise but I think that's in part my usual RPM and trim settings.
    I should say i out perform them all except for Curt with the 160HP plane, that thing just seems to climb like crazy. Don't know what prop is on it.

GG

Post Thanks / Like

Default Climb props on a tri-pacer

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    I have the Sensenich 74DM6-0-58 on my 550 PA22-150, actually a -61 repitched & stamped as -58 and it was like that when I bought the plane eight years ago.
    I have not done emperical tests but I do generally have a shorter roll and better climb than my hangarmates with the origianl -61. They seem to be a couple mph faster in cruise but I think that's in part my usual RPM and trim settings.
    I should say i out perform them all except for Curt with the 160HP plane, that thing just seems to climb like crazy. Don't know what prop is on it.

GG
    Glen...

Curt's airplane used to be down here... That prop was re-pitched to a 57 if I remember right...

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I didnt really know what to expect when I asked. Thought I had to wait for days or weeks until I got a response. At least I didnt expect this amount of information so quickly.
    Thanks a lot, you guys. I will be going for a 74-58 prop and stop thinking about a Borer. My 61 prop is damaged beyond repair and I will not be missing it. Youre right, it was like taking off in 4th gear and the airspeed indicator didnt really start to show anything for the first third of the runway, which was uncomfortable.
    I think regulations stop me from getting a 56 prop (Im based in Iceland, not the US), but a 58 will do just fine for me.
    Again, thank you for the quick and helpful reply. I will definitely be dipping into this fountain of wisdom again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feitigaur View Post
    Wow, I didnt really know what to expect when I asked. Thought I had to wait for days or weeks until I got a response. At least I didnt expect this amount of information so quickly.
    Thanks a lot, you guys. I will be going for a 74-58 prop and stop thinking about a Borer. My 61 prop is damaged beyond repair and I will not be missing it. Youre right, it was like taking off in 4th gear and the airspeed indicator didnt really start to show anything for the first third of the runway, which was uncomfortable.
    I think regulations stop me from getting a 56 prop (Im based in Iceland, not the US), but a 58 will do just fine for me.
    Again, thank you for the quick and helpful reply. I will definitely be dipping into this fountain of wisdom again.
    Regardless if you get a brand new or used Prop - you can have them pitch it to the low side range of the 58" pitch (it stays a 58 but is right on the cusp of being a 57") You want to get as close to 2450 rpm static at S/L- a strong 160 hp should be close with the 58" pitch