Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Climb props on a tri-pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Climb props on a tri-pacer

Thanks AKflyer

Post Thanks / Like

I ran an M74DM 53 inch pitch on my PA-22-160 for towing banners. Used to fly in and out of a 700 ft strip with that thing. Cruise was limited to about 110 to stay in the green arc on the tach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - That is spot on info ! Daryl

Post Thanks / Like

I have a McCauley 7458 on my 160HP and it seems to climb like a bat out of hell. Granted I am at sea level and density altitudes have only gotten up to the 2000 foot range, and I also have no other experience in any other plane or with any other prop to compare, so I’m not sure how much help I am. But at VY I get well over 1000 FPM and reach pattern altitude during my crosswind (with full tanks and 2 passengers.) I haven’t even really messed around at VX yet since the pitch is so steep and we haven’t gotten to that point in my training yet. Seems to cruise around 120 average. But once again, limited experience.
    Last edited by FFSchooley; 08-09-2020 at 11:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    Getting the best performance depends on how legal you want to stay. Lots people including myself have used the 82X42 or 43 "borer" prop. I had one on my pacer. Swapped it out for a Sensenich Ground adjustable STOL prop and saw huge gains in take off and cruise over the borer prop. The vibration testing for the certification is taking place this week and next (if all goes according to plan) and hopefully Sensenich will have an STC soon. Of course, I am told the price will go up when the STC comes out but that they will "take care of" the guys that already have the prop at a lower price for the paperwork.

FWIW, the pitch pins that Sensenich have are in 2" increments and that gives you 32, 34, 36 etc. 34 was great for take off but cruise went down. 36 was better for cruise but take off and climb went down. I turned one of my pins down to give me 35 and that seems to be the sweet spot on mine as well as the 0300 my brother is running on his plane. The 150-160 HP engines really seem to like the 35 pitch.
    Any updates on this STC?!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Climb props on a tri-pacer

I talked to sensenich last week and they said the testing was done for the 180 hp super cub . They are getting the STC for it first then are going to work down in horse power on super cubs. I asked him about pacers and he said it will be a while because they are doing the cubs first. $3500 now but he didn’t say how much after they are certified.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Im at 2400 rpm static on my Sensenich 74DM6-0-60. I want to repitch to 58 or maybe 56 . I will give up speed for take off distance. Anyone have a good prop shop in Southern California they can recommend ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by $Piker View Post
    Any updates on this STC?!
    Right now Sensenich is only certifying the ground adjustable prop on the SuperCub. Certification is under the new Part 23 rules. They are not getting a TC on the prop, just an STC on the airplane. Given the SC is a 2 place airplane(1 passenger), the certification requirements are less under the new rules than they are for more than one passenger. I suspect it will be years before we see the Sensenich ground adjustable certified on short wings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Right now Sensenich is only certifying the ground adjustable prop on the SuperCub. Certification is under the new Part 23 rules. They are not getting a TC on the prop, just an STC on the airplane. Given the SC is a 2 place airplane(1 passenger), the certification requirements are less under the new rules than they are for more than one passenger. I suspect it will be years before we see the Sensenich ground adjustable certified on short wings.

Actic Motorsports has sold a lot of ground adjustable sensenich props. They are the dealer associated with the super cub cert. They have performance numbers for airframes and motor combos.