Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Right Yoke Removal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Right Yoke Removal

Quote Originally Posted by rwdurham View Post
    This is an interesting discussion. As I stated, I'm certainly no expert. I'd be interested to know what you find out. I have no interest or need to remove a yoke (where would I hang my ipad?) but it's still peaking my curiosity.
    I am currently in annual and my last annual was done with the right yoke out - I am just an A&P - so I will go thru my IA and SEA FSDO next fall and check it out (we currently have it recorded as a minor alteration) I am not being critical - but personally I would be more concerned about hanging things on yokes - than having the right yoke out. Happy Flying!

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by "I'm just an A&P"? You should be proud of that. As an A&P you can call the SEA FSDO, now. Please let us know what you learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    What do you mean by "I'm just an A&P"? You should be proud of that. As an A&P you can call the SEA FSDO, now. Please let us know what you learn.
    I have done several field approvals via SEA FSDO - working thru my IA who has a 45 year working relationship with them really helps- so I will stay with that protocol I will report back when I get an opinion. After 35 yrs of experience myself - I am alittle overdue on getting my IA also - I hope to get around to that in a couple of years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Stephen, You are probably right for the most part, but ask Steve P. what a big deal "snap vents" in his first Clipper were. That's the one the RV crashed into at SNF several years ago.
    Clayton, That was just lawyer posturing during the lawsuit depositions. The FAA nor the insurance company ever said anything about any of the supposed violations brought up by the lawyers. I too have dealt with many insurance claims and never had them question anything. I would remove the right yoke and log it. Let whoever has a problem with it find an FAR you violated.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the key is to log it.

I know the FAA views GA different than Air Carriers. That said, I sat in Panama City Panama for 4 hours with a ASI who had found a missing ashtray in the left rear lav even though almost all fights are non smoking. The Feds position is the aircraft was certified with an ashtray. I was able to talk him into MEL ing the lav, or we would have had to waited 8 hours for the part to come from Houston. I know without a CDL (configuration deviation list) on file, a missing screw even in the cockpit will render an aircraft un-airworthy. Catch the wrong Federal Worker on the wrong day, and he will be asking you to prove its legal.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes - The System is only as good as the people - Happy Flying

Post Thanks / Like

Fortunately there are more ASI's watching Part 121 then us little guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Fortunately there are more ASI's watching Part 121 then us little guys.
    You Got That Right, Gilbert.

Post Thanks / Like

You Got That Right, Gilbert.
    What Clayton said, fun times at work.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to Ed Trimmer yesterday. Like all of the real Alaska old timers, he thinks we say too much on these sites. That said, he says that even the 135 operators routinely take the right yoke out for "safety" and room. You see, the operators don't want their paying passenger introducing a control input at 2 feet AGL while going into a short little strip. Remember though, things are done in the land of the "midnight sun" that can't happen down here. You may still have to defend yourself. "SAFETY" is a good start.