Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PA-17 Engine swap woes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-17 Engine swap woes

I also saw two Vagabonds at Sentimental Journey many years
    ago with 0-200's and full gyro panels. Beautiful airplanes
    But no legal way to fly them because of empty weight.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Neat stuff, We are merely short time care takers of these airplanes.

Post Thanks / Like

Cecil, the guy who did the O-200 upgrade in 15-167 (N4382H), is still around. He tells me that his O-200 upgrade was done with help from his local GADO free of charge, but this was many years ago now. They advised him to do the upgrade via a one-time STC, helped him with the paperwork, assisted with the test flight plans, and generally made the experience agreeable. He tells me that he doesn't think that kind of assistance is available any more, and that one's only option these days is to hire a DER and spend a lot of money.

Interesting side note: when he was done restoring shortwings, he donated various drawings to the SWPC. For those of you with the CD, check out drawing 11554 for example.

Post Thanks / Like

A C-85-12 will fit in the Vag, but beware if you go with the B&C starter (which is the only one that will fit with the stock firewall) that you will have to pull the engine foreward about four inches if you have to remove the starter or the mags (Bendix). Don't ask how I know. You will also need the exhaust off of the 85 to work properly. Otherwise, its an awfully tight fit at the muffler. You end up with the width of your index finger between the firewall and the mags/starter (about 1/2") You also need a new motor mount due to the original mount being made of 1025 steel vs new ones made of 4130. My DAR insisted on that, but I had done it anyway.
    49clipper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 49clipper View Post
    A C-85-12 will fit in the Vag, but beware if you go with the B&C starter (which is the only one that will fit with the stock firewall) that you will have to pull the engine foreward about four inches if you have to remove the starter or the mags (Bendix). Don't ask how I know. You will also need the exhaust off of the 85 to work properly. Otherwise, its an awfully tight fit at the muffler. You end up with the width of your index finger between the firewall and the mags/starter (about 1/2") You also need a new motor mount due to the original mount being made of 1025 steel vs new ones made of 4130. My DAR insisted on that, but I had done it anyway.
    49clipper
    I have a PA-15 with a C85-12. I'm just starting the leg work for my IA to add a starter.
    Have no idea if my plane's motor mount is 1025 or 4130.
    Who did your DER work?
    Can you advise me on what steps are needed to do this mod?

Call if you get a chance. 269-598-3106

Thanks, Eric
    N4380H

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, you state your 337 is for a PA17 with a c85-12, this is the copy I need. warren_winkler@hotmail.com or call 941-740-0831.