Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: technique for brisk variable winds?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: technique for brisk variable winds?

I only wheel land in smooth air and wind down the runway. In high winds, gusts and cross winds it's always 3 point. Prior to the Clipper I had a KitFox. That airplane was just the opposite. Wheel and always except on calm air then you could three point it. When I bought the Clipper the pilot I bought it from delivered it from Seattle area. He was commenting on landing in a 30 knot cross wind in Goodland Kansas. I said I guess you had to wheel lande it. He said "why would you do that, you always three point in a cross wind". 2000 hours and 16 years later I still adhere to his admonishment.

Post Thanks / Like

Bringing up an old topic, but reading some of these older ones are interesting to me.

Do any of you keep the aileron down into the wind on landing? I see some references to it in some posts, but my instructors have beat it into me when landing a taildragger. KEEP THE WING DOWN INTO THE WIND. Not only in the air but on the ground. It keeps the pressure the same on the main gear and help prevents groundlooping due to the different geometry of the landing gear if the crosswind is putting more pressure on the downwind gear leg.
    Of course, all of this with plenty of rudder fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
    Bringing up an old topic, but reading some of these older ones are interesting to me.

Do any of you keep the aileron down into the wind on landing? I see some references to it in some posts, but my instructors have beat it into me when landing a taildragger. KEEP THE WING DOWN INTO THE WIND. Not only in the air but on the ground. It keeps the pressure the same on the main gear and help prevents groundlooping due to the different geometry of the landing gear if the crosswind is putting more pressure on the downwind gear leg.
    Of course, all of this with plenty of rudder fun.
    Absolutely wing down (aileron up)into the wind in the air and on the ground and be ready with more opposite rudder on the ground to prevent weathervaning into the wind.

Fortunately the Shortwing Pipers are less prone to get wing up in a cross wind then a Cessna. I would much rather land my Clipper (full span aileron) then a C172 in a strong cross wind.
    Flaps and short ailerons may make you experience different.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 02-03-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The basic problem with the version 1.0 Pacer is the lack of drag inducing devices. In a stiff cross wind the more advanced and trusty 2.0 Pacer can come in with full flaps. You have a good healthy sink rate....no floating...touch down, dump flaps and you are in!
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

first thing that i see is a lot of pilots don t have proper aileron input in crosswind take off or landings . the aileron control into the wind right from the get go , and aileron input during the transition on landing and not relaxing it after touch down , thats when your going to head to the boonies ,wheel landings , stall landings its whatever you are comfortable with is fine you can argue this one till your blue in the face. personally my rule is never use full flap on a real gusty crosswind and control the touchdown with a bit of power or as much as you need i usually wheel land and this all depends on runway length if the runway is short i would stall it on but still without full flap , and if that won t work and the wind is that bad i will go to another strip if one is available

Post Thanks / Like

I was kidding Gilbert. But, not about using flaps. Rockets advice works, I know because I used that technique. Not anymore, our field is hated for it's gusting westerly cross winds. I runout of aileron on landings and need rudder occasionally. Now, I aways use full flaps (unlike what my old CFI taught me in a Cessna), and three point....then dump flaps. The only time I wheel land and not use flaps is when I am on a very long runway and don't care how much pavement I use...

Post Thanks / Like

I still have much to learn flying my 22/20, and it may be because I'm getting old and slow, but my baby handles best on the ground when I get her slow with full flaps like Stephen says. I like to keep aileron into the crosswind as well, like my old tailwheel CFI taught me. And yes.... power is your friend when you need it. My $.02.

Lou

Post Thanks / Like

I somewhat see the advantage of flaps but feel the full span ailerons are a preferable tradoff. I have landed several times in direct 30mph cross wind and not run out of aileron control. I don't do that when there are better runways available but it is nice to know I have the option. With no flaps and no power on it drops right smartly in a thee point attitude or tailwheel first with no bounce or float. My wife always comments "you dropped it in" I haven't got across to her its by design when that happens.

Post Thanks / Like

you can grease it on hundreds of times and no one will notice but bounce it once and you won t beleive how many people seen it

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up trying to convince anyone that my landing are sometimes intended to drop in....I commonly reply now days, after clunking it in is, "Heck, I can do worst than that!" It seems to get them wondering. My wife was a pilot in her past and usually only makes positive comments. Maybe, she is thankful to be down.