Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Found a crack in tail post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Found a crack in tail post

Just spent the week repairing my tail post, cracked just like the picture above! Installed 12"" sleeve, new tail spring perch and fabric. Took longer to fix the fabric & stripes than the tubing repair!! Repairing / Patching Aero-Thane top coats SUCK!!

Enjoy the day,

John

Post Thanks / Like

Important thread. I wish I had seen this prior to welding the spring pad on my wagabond. I would have installed a longer sleeve. I bet a lot of tail posts will get inspected in the coming weeks

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tailpost Crack

Saw the PA-22/20 I took my first flight in many years ago at Sun-N-Fun. I ask the new owner how things were going with it and he told me the tail post had cracked. He took the time to show me images captured during the repair of where this crack was located.
    Part of the conversion is to remove the tail skid (installed on Tri-Pacer) which is inserted into the inside of the lower end of the tail post, drilled and a AN3 bolt installed to secure the skid to the tail post. The conversion does not address the hole in anyway. The crack was radial all the way around where this bolt hole was located.
    He repaired it by installing a sleeve with a roset weld which is simply said but entails a lot of work. His recommendation is, at a minimum, to install a bolt in this hole if, during the conversion, a sleeve was not installed.
    Spoke with Clyde Smith about this at Sun-N-Fun. Said he had not heard of anyone having this problem before now.
    Anyone out there seen this????

Allycat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have seen it several times just like you describe, crack eminating from the 3/16" bolt hole for the tail skid from when the airplane was a nose dragger. I think it is a good idea to put an inner sleeve inside the tailpost prior to welding the tailspring mount. I linked your post with a thread on the subject with some pictures as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, would you say or have you seen over the years that some of the airplanes (22/20's) tail post do not crack in this area? Almost ready to put my conversion in service and will need to make the decision to make the repair now or fly it and keep a eye on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If your airplane is not covered I would address it. If it is covered I would keep an eye on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think maybe what contributes to the crack is tailwheel's have locking mechanisms that lock too hard and bigger tail wheels just a thought

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it is the 3/16" hole in the tailpost for the tail skid on the Tri-Pacer. Way more stress from the cracks in the runway than the tailwheel mechanism I would think.

Post Thanks / Like

I am taking my plane apart to accomplish STC SA819SW. While removing the fabric I discovered the tail post cracked at the former tail loop bolt hole. Then found the lower left longeron also cracked completely through right in front of the tail cluster. I hadn't suspected anything but was looking to see if there was a problem after reading posts on this forum.

Plane crazy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Call Me Al; 11-08-2018 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Straighten picture

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Too common. Need to make sure everyone welds a tube inside the tailpost when doing the tailwheel conversion.