Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Koroseal lacing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Koroseal lacing...

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Piper just used Friction Tape! No need for that fancy stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't forget the shellac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jason, I would run a loop between the hose, SCAT etc. and the engine mount. Have seen things rub into the engine mount from vibration over time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I need to clean up my engine and get rid of the tiewraps. I cant decide between this and adel clamps. Can someone tell me the outside diameter of the engine mount ? Sorry, I for got to check at the hanger last night. Also, what is used for spark plug wires ? any pre made looms ?

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are flooding my brain with knowledge! Cool stuff. I know zip ties are bad, but I got quite a few of ‘em. I will have to get some of this stuff and bust out the ole Boy Scout Hand book and get to lacing! Very cool. Thanks for the knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

A cool tip I learned from the EAA was to use heat shrink on your zip ties before zipping the up. You just have to measure how much you’ll need so it doesn’t bind when tightening it up....it prevents it cutting into the part your securing, and also prevents it from sliding. I find it works real slick.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out GripLockTies. Last year I replaced all zip ties fwf with these. They’re great, and now I always have some in my plane tool bag, car tool bag, garage, and hangar.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you mean something like this, it is called a shear lashing. I have used it a lot with koroseal on brake lines, flying wires on float installs, scat hoses, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

The other recent post "Lycoming 0-320 question" kinda started to get some serious thread creep. But piqued my interest as to Koroseal and the correct tying method. Wonder why it's not used as much anymore? Seems even more effective that screwing Adel clamps together. Then the questions arises.... How is this better or safer than Zip-ties?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

....."How is this better or safer than Zip-ties?"

Zip ties, even U.S. made ones, dry out, get brittle then break off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

....."How is this better or safer than Zip-ties?"

Zip ties, even U.S. made ones, dry out, get brittle then break off.
    There is nothing wrong with zip ties by themselves, however when a zip tie is placed directly around a steel or aluminum tube, combined with dust and other contaminants, it will abrade the tubing and eventually wear all the way through the tubing compromising the strength. I’ve seen this on several engine mounts.

If you insist on using zip ties to attach to tubing, protect the tubing by adding friction tape or a piece of hose around the tube so the zip tie doesn’t come in direct contact with the tubing.

I will point out that nowhere in AC43.13-1A Chapter 11 does it allow the use of zip ties to support wiring, so unless the specific manufacturer specifies their use in the appropriate section of their maintenance manual, a mechanic is fully within his authority to identify their use as an unairworthy condition on a certified aircraft.

If you look a drawing for our tube and fabric airplanes, all the wiring is attached to the airframe buy first wrapping the tube with friction tape, then attaching the wire with friction tape, and sealing that with shellac.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk