Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 0-235 Oil Temp?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 0-235 Oil Temp?

Hello, I have been flying my Colt here in Oklahoma, the weather is hot with ground temps in the 90's. My 0-235 C1B had new rings installed/cylinders serviced on #2 and #4 cylinders before I bought it, about 10 engine hours ago. I've noticed that the oil temp has been getting up to 220 - 230 deg. after flying about 30 minutes at 75% power. The compressions are good (70's) but I am concerned about the temp. I have a spin on oil filter and no oil cooler. I know oil temp can be high until the rings seat, usually in about 15 - 20 hours. Does anyone else think this temp is high, and what temps do you see flying low (2500') in summer? Thanks......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 0-235 Oil Temp?

Back when I had a Colt I would often see 220+ on hot days in Ohio. I eventually added an oil cooler because it made me feel better, but it flew that way for 50 years before I added the cooler...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Normal for those temps.

Post Thanks / Like

Flying under 3000 on 100 degree days in Kansas, my Colt's temp is usually around 220 or a little above. I have an oil filter and in summer I use 100W and keep the oil at the 5 1/2 qt level on the dip stick. The thicker oil seems to dissipate the heat better. On long trips when it's hot, I top the oil off when I get gas. When the oil level drops, my temp seems to climb a little.

In the cold winter, I have the opposite problem. Low oil temp. When it's below 20 degrees I only fill to 4 qts on the dip stick. That usually brings my temp up to 180 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

There is an air hose that comes out the left back side of the eng baffle that went to the oil strainer screen and cooled the temp probe. Hooked up to a box around the strainer. Had to take it off when you cleaned the oil strainer screen. Sometimes when they put an oil filter on, they do not put that air hose back on to cool the temp probe. Or if it is there, the hose gets misaligned and does not blow air on the probe. Might check that out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwo4ret View Post
    There is an air hose that comes out the left back side of the eng baffle that went to the oil strainer screen and cooled the temp probe. Hooked up to a box around the strainer. Had to take it off when you cleaned the oil strainer screen. Sometimes when they put an oil filter on, they do not put that air hose back on to cool the temp probe. Or if it is there, the hose gets misaligned and does not blow air on the probe. Might check that out.
    Thats interesting, I didn't think that little screen cooler box would fit over the new Casper adaptor fitting. Does your Colt have the little box re-installed at the oil filter adaptor? Thanks for the replies BTW.....

Post Thanks / Like

I have a remote oil filter. I will take some pictures and post them today on the way my AI/mechanic did it.

Post Thanks / Like

oil screen 001.jpgoil screen 002.jpgoil screen 003.jpgoil screen 005.jpgoil screen 007.jpgoil screen 008.jpgoil screen 009.jpgoil screen 010.jpgoil screen 012.jpg

There are probably 32 different ways to put the hose back, and there are probably 49 different opinions of whether it is needed or not. This is what my AI/mechanic decided to do. Seems to work.

Post Thanks / Like

I sure do not see the point in blowing air on the temp sensor. It's not cooling the oil.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you. Seems kind of silly. Doesn't cool much oil blowing on the oil screen either when it is coming from the hot engine compartment.

But, as my AI said, :"Someone at Piper thought it was a good idea back in 61, so why not, don't cost nothin, can't hurt nothin, don't weigh much.