Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 0-235 Oil Temp?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 0-235 Oil Temp?

Quote Originally Posted by dougclinton View Post
    1963 Colt. O235 C1, Eight hours since #s 2 and 4 cylinders replaced. OAT about 80 degrees, on 85 mph climb through 3,500, full throttle, oil temp bumped against red line, oil pressure low edge of the green, maybe 65 psi. 100W oil at the 5 quart mark. Abandoned climb and leveled at 3500, set cruise at 2400 rpm. Oil temp settled at 230 and oil pressure still in low end of the green. Engine has spin-on oil filter. Flt manual says that below 245 degrees is normal operating range. OK, everything was "normal" but not where I am used to with TriPacers. Most links in this thread no longer work. Would like opinions/suggestions from the members.

Is there an oil cooler kit available somewhere?
    That's consistent with what I remember from my 62 Colt. There were several discussion threads on this. The consensus seemed to be that this was normal.

I chose to add a cooler because it made me feel better. I used the Stewart STC (now owned by Steve Pierce) and managed to locate a Lycoming oil cooler line adapter 62418 from a salvage yard. As luck would have it, I sold the airplane while installing the oil cooler. I only flew it a few hours during delivery to the buyer, but it seemed to do the job.

The oil cooler line adapter is required because the O235 C1 accessory case does not provide for an oil cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I just saw a Lycoming oil cooler line adapter 62418 on ebay. I think I payed under $200 for one of these from Wentworth, but that was 10 years ago...
    https://www.ebay.com/p/4025754501

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deandayton View Post
    FWIW, I just saw a Lycoming oil cooler line adapter 62418 on ebay. I think I payed under $200 for one of these from Wentworth, but that was 10 years ago...
    https://www.ebay.com/p/4025754501

The only problem with the adapter is that it only has a viscosity valve. Prevents cold congealed oil from rupturing that aluminum cooler by bypassing the cooler. Once oil is warm it all goes through the cooler and you won’t be able to get temps above 160. Too much area in the cooler for a 235 or 290. What Steve should do is add a shutter to his cooler baffle mount. You could regulate the air over the cooler to control oil temp.

Over the years, every myth has been tried from a tomato soup can over the oil screen housing to blast tubes, baffles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Foil tape over part of the cooler works well no matter what engine you have to keep the oil warm enough. I doubt the payout would be worth the time and money to get a shutter approved as part of the oil cooler STC.