Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stab trim handle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stab trim handle

Quote Originally Posted by 28a View Post
    It dosen't look exactly like my '53 PA22/20 crank but it could work. What is the diameter of the round that mates to the ID of the escutcheon? Also the locking pin hole dia? I'm looking for a suitable replacement but not positive that mine was original.

Thanks.
    The locking pin hole is a tight 1/8" diameter. I'll measure the shoulder that goes into the escutcheon when I am at the hangar tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

The OD of the part of the crank handle that goes into the escutcheon is 0.57". The hole in my old escutcheon which I am reusing is 0.59".

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Harold. I believe the handle would fit on the square shaft of the 22/20. Judging from the proportions on your jpg, the shaft to knob center distance is about 2.65". The 22/20 handle measures about 4". Since I'm at least a half year away from assembling the airplane I will keep searching for a better match. Your handle would still be better than my old one that has about .12" wear in the pin hole.

Post Thanks / Like

So I was looking at my trim handle as the knob part is getting loose and I wanted to tighten it, and I happen to see that the “locking pin” that holds the handle on was starting to work it’s way out. It appeared to be a clevis pin so I put a cotter pin in the hole to keep it in place. Looking at the parts diagram, all it says is locking pin. What is supposed to be used to hold the handle on? What is a locking pin? I guess I can use what I got and just get a smaller cotter pin so it doesn’t hang out looking all ugly...

Post Thanks / Like

The 81761-11 pin is held in place by the spring loaded 41101 escutcheon (plate).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! That makes sense now. I was just worried about it vibrating out. I might stick a small cotter pin in anyways. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

If you use a cotter pin, the escutchen won't fit. The handle shaft should be .580/.585, and the ID of the exscutchen is .594

Post Thanks / Like

So my handle has the escutcheon with spring in place, and a drilled clevis pin through the hole of the handle. I was worried the pin would vibrate out since it’s somewhat loose and not held tight by the escutcheon. So I have a cotter pin securing the clevis so it doesn’t back out.

On another note, the knob part of the handle is really loose and the stud that holds it in place very worn, so a new handle is in my future.

Post Thanks / Like

Suggest you buy a new handle. There were several post about where to get a ‘36-38 Ford truck window crank handle, they are only about $12. Get a new pin as well. The pin should be fairly tight in the handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Roger that. Like everything else, I think I will buy two