Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tablet For Aviation Use?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tablet For Aviation Use?

I am planning on buying a tablet computer and using the various aviation apps, like Flightplan, etc. Can anyone recommend a brand/type/size of tablet to get? 7" or 10" best? Thanks........KE

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tablet For Aviation Use?

It depends on what you want to use it for. As a professional pilot I used an Ipad with foreflight. After retiring I still use it.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bruce. I have not tried any other, but foreflight is very similar to glass cockpit era. I first used a regular iPad, but now have iPad mini and love the size- better for small working area, but not as much map to see without slewing. Works fine for the speed of my birds. I use the Stratus G P S and love it.

Post Thanks / Like

iPad a a great tool, in four seat single engine the mini is a much better size. Many aps being developed and improved. Coupled with a Waas gps and AHRS, etc. its really capable.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a samsung galaxy 10.1 note with air nav pro. I like it but they need to improve it to work like the IPAD version!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the iPad mini with ForeFlight and Stratus II for WX and GPS via WiFi to the Mini. No more paper charts or Flight Guide subscriptions. It's all on ForeFlight. It's excellent for flight planning as we'll.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the ipad as well with Foreflight pro, it is nice. But if I was buying now I would probably get the mini for the size. I don't really need all that area the larger one provides.

Post Thanks / Like

I have iFly on its dedicated 7 inch tab, which has a super bright screen and I have Naviator on my 10.1 Samsung, both excellent gps programs. I use iLevel for WX, which works on either tab. I like the 7 inch screen best. Few tabs work well in direct sunlight. iFly does. I am looking at the Nexus 7 as a replacement for my Samsung and backup to iFly which will also be my travel computer but, it is still not as bright as the iFly.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I will go with a 7" or 8" inch tablet. How much do those weather apps cost, is there a annual cost? I am planning to use the Foreflight app. Also, how do you receive Wifi service when flying? Isn't some type of weather receiver needed?

Post Thanks / Like

I use the iPad 2 with the basic foreflight. My wife likes it as she says it gives her something to do when we are flying. I use the wifi function while on the ground to check weather enroute and at the destination, and she follows our course on the moving map. I don't have the 3 g enabled. I am happy with it.

I also use at home... As I am now. As everyone else here at home does too!