Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PA22 Aux Fuel Valve

Post Thanks / Like

Default auxiliary fuel tanks

I was thinking about adding one of these some time. Given the CG and the fact I'd like to use mogas (I have the stc) I thought this might be a good idea. The one thing though is I don't hear alot about these being installed which makes me wonder what I don't know?

Is this a good idea? Where woudl i come by the tank if i wanted to add it?

thanks
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I think you don't hear about them much because you can't find parts for them. It seems to me as I've looked into doing the same thing is it was a rare option to begin with an if you found one used expect to pay for that little gold nugget.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my customers has an original under seat tank for sale..... if you are interested PM me and I can get you his name and number during the week...

Brian...

Post Thanks / Like

I had one in MTS - from memory it was about 8 gallon capacity which would give you about an extra hour and I used it a lot on long trips. It had a small electric transfer pump - you ran the right tank down and then switched the pump on and it would transfer from aux. to the right wing tank.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one and just submitted a field approval for an electric valve vs the manual valve. Andy's site has a field approval copy for the electric valve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Dad just did a field approval to use the same check valve and pump that is used on the belly tanks on a Super cub. I have an 8 gallon fuselage tank in the Pacer I own now and like it except when the o'rings in the original type valve leaked all the fuel from the wing tank into the fuselage tank, over flowing onto the hanger floor. The extra 8 gallons comes in handy on cross countries giving that extra reserve that makes me feel more comfortable. Plan on removing it however when the slotted wings and 24 gallon Dakota tanks go in.

Post Thanks / Like

I sold my 8-gallon tank years ago, as I needed the floor space for hauling stuff. I don't like the idea of gas tanks in the cockpit area, but I do admit that I have hauled many full 5-gallon gas cans. I recently solved my problems by installing the
    Dakota tanks....
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Acutually you use the same pump. The Check Valve replaces the modified Scott brake valve and bowden control cable that runs back to the under-floor tank. It greatly simplifies the installation.
    The solenoid valve used in the Field Approval on Andy's site is not approved for gasoline which caused me some concern when I looked into using it for this installation.

N6076D AUX FUEL CHECK VALVE 3370001.pdf

Aux Fuel check valve summary narrative.doc
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 06-19-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Plan on removing it however when the slotted wings and 24 gallon Dakota tanks go in.
    So Steve, how are the new wings coming?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aux Fuel Tank

Howdy,

I have a PA 22/20 with the Aux fuel system. I'm having a problem with fuel from the right tank draining past the pump and valve and back into the Aux tank. This started when the temps got down to -15c so I'm wondering if the seals don't like the cold.

Anyone have this issue? Any solutions beyond replacing the Pump and valve? Any other ideas?

Thanks!