Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 9th Annual Piper Restoration Seminar is Graham, TX Feb 15-24.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 9th Annual Piper Restoration Seminar is Graham, TX Feb 15-24.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Rick, Cathy is working on the registration as we speak.

Jim, The weekend of the 15-16 is when most folks are here. Would be great to finally meet you.

Working on a schedule and will post later.
    I'd probably do part of the week, I answered the survey. I'd probably be down 2/16-17 to 2/19-20 depending. The dance on Friday is a CAN'T miss, I'm sure you understand!

I'll be up for learning anything.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great, my oldest daughter moved out of the house last June and I now know you enjoy the time you have with them. The seminar will be a hoot for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Survey complete - check; Room reservation made - check; BBQ appetite - check; Hoping for sunny and warm weather w/ light winds - check

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well it looks like we are going to have a good group with lots of things to do. Here is a schedule of events.

Friday night 6pm Chilli feed at the hanger as I am sure most everyone will be here and we can meet everyone and look at our projects.

Sat 8 am Start covering Super Cub fuselage in Stewart System. This project will go on all weekend and probably be ready to apply coatings on Monday.
    Start replacing wings on Tri-Pacer with Dakota Cub slotted wings. This will entail installation, rigging and probably fabrication of wing root fairings. This project will continue on into the following week.
    Other projects will include whatever people bring to work on and from what I know that should include prepping a Super Cub for cover and some other projects involving a PA12.

Sat 9 am Sheet metal fabrication. Will make doublers in boot cowl to show common sheet metal practices such as cutting, forming, drilling, dimpling, countersinking and riveting. There will be plenty of tools and material so anyone can make what they want.

Sat 10 am Fabric Piper walk around inspection. Will walk around the airplane from spinner to tail pointing out problem areas from both a maintenance and restoration standpoint and the common fixes.

Sat 12 Lunch

Sat 1 pm Back to the projects.

Sat 2 pm Tailwheel rebuild. Tailwheel disassembly, inspection and reassembly showing common wear items and practical fixes along with proper set up and installation.

Sat 3 pm Fabric Field Repair. Will make a common field repair on a covered airplane. We tend to do a lot of this when rocks, sticks, trees etc. try to occupy the same place as parts of our airplane.

Sat 5 pm Wind down projects.

Sat 6 pm BBQ Dinner.

Sunday 9 am Resume Projects.

Sunday 10 am Slick Magneto 500 hr Inspection. Disassemble, inspect and set internal timing (e-gap) on a Slick magneto.

Sunday 12 pm Lunch

Sunday 1 pm Resume Projects.

Monday 9 am Depart for Breckenridge to tour Ezell Aviation warbird restoration facility. http://www.ezellaviation.com/

Projects to resume throughout the week with a trip to PK Speedway to ride go-karts on the best weather day. http://www.pkspeedway.com/ We normally rent the place for the afternoon and have a blast racing around the track.
    Throughout the entire seminar there will be multiple projects in the works as people bring in their own bits and pieces including flying airplanes to perform maintenance or repairs to. Weather permitting there will be lots of flying as well. We have a fun playground 7 miles away and have had as many as 20 airplanes in attendance. If there is a subject or topic someone is interested in we can definitely look into adding it to the schedule. As you can probably tell the seminar is best described as a 3 ring circus, you find what you are interested in and jump in. Many folks come to work and get their hands dirty, others come to observe and socialize. It is a good mix of knowledge and skills and I think it is safe to say everyone learns something and has a good time doing it as well as connecting with like minded individuals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Please fill out Cathy's survey if you plan on attending. It helps us with planning this event.

Post Thanks / Like

Very seriously thinking about making this happen this year. Not quite sure about the finances yet, but I'm digging… deeply. The agenda has a number of things I'd very much like to learn about. I'll let Cathy know via the survey as soon as I'm sure.

Thanks very much for arranging this event; it sounds incredibly useful & worthwhile!

Walt

PS: Cathy, I'm thinking I'd arrive Friday PM, then would have to depart by Tuesday at the latest (Monday being my last participating day); would I be looking at "the whole week" or "the weekend"?
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 01-31-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking of trying to do something similar (Sat-Mon). Would probably fly commercial to DFW and am willing to carpool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The weekend rate would apply for both. Will try and coordinate with some of the Super Cub guys as well.

Post Thanks / Like

OK! This is beginning to sound like it's doable (is that really a word?) for me. Will continue my research.

I would also be flying in to DFW and would be very happy to carpool. Flight investigations so far have led to --tentatively-- an early flight out of MHT, arriving at DFW around 12:30 in the afternoon. Looks like around 100m to Graham from Ft Worth. I'd also be willing to share a room (separate beds, of course!) if anyone else is so inclined.

I really like to meet all the folks I've "talked to" on this forum!

Walt

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've completed the survey and booked a flight (one-way) to DFW; arriving around noon. I still plan to leave Monday but hope to do it via a work-sponsored flight for a client visit so don't know if it'll be Monday morning or Monday night. Walt, you are welcome to ride with me from the airport!