Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accepting responsibility yes or no?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Accepting responsibility yes or no?

Today after pulling the fabric off the right landing gear discovered what I feel is the real reason for crumpling my Pacer. I now feel had the wind been calm there was a real possibility of wrecking the aircraft anyway. Bit of history to tie together my thinking on this: I bought the pacer February of last year. Didn't fly from Alaska to Arkansas until July 3rd. The man I bought the aircraft from recovered the landing gear and installed Grove brakes in June. The attached pictures show cracks, rust on the old cracks and patched areas on the gear. I believe this is the original gear and this gear has failed once before according to the log book. Someone attempted to repair the gear...now this. The man who recovered the gear should have seen the cracks or at least the rust stains at the cracks. The right gear leg should have been replaced back in June.

I've been pondering why the right wing into the wind more than I wanted. I wondered why I jerked the aileron to lift the right wing. I've wondered why we turned 60-70 degrees so quickly. I thought it was due to wind gusts causing the Pacer to weathervane into the wind...almost directly into the wind. I believe the slight side load I put on the right gear (wind side) caused the gear to fail when it shouldn't have. Was landing in loose gravel not pavement...at the most maybe ten degrees probably less, it shouldn't have caused the gear to fail. The sudden turn into the wind is because the right wheel turned out, add a cross wind and the tire not tracking in line with the fuselage off the runway we went. Now to call the FAA...I don't want to do a check ride with the FAA if I can avoid it.
    Mark M.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Accepting responsibility yes or no?

Mark, that definitely reinforces the value of taking the gear down to bare metal and working back up if you are ever in question. I've done that with two sets of gear, definitely better to know exactly how it looks.

The FAA has been doing 709 rides for pretty much any reported incident for a few years now in Alaska. The rides are actually not rides usually...they are almost exclusively doing oral evaluations, even by phone in some cases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I may not be able to see what you are seeing in the pictures the rust I see looks like recent rust that accumulates on fresh fractures in bare metal.

Corrosion is the reason I am a huge proponent of sand blasting, inspecting, epoxy prime and catalyzed polyurethane top coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Resolution may not be there. The recent breaks from the wreck is clean silver metal. The iron oxide rust is much older and is layered in a few places.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another pic.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not - we considered these to be "old" airplanes by the late 1950's - now they truly are very very old airplanes - I have purchased 17 planes - some where not nearly as good as was represented - and most of these were purchased from licensed mechanics- no offence intended as I am an A&P as well - I always figure with anything mechanical new or old - you pay your money and take your chances- the battle is not worth the cost to go after somebody.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely....wouldn't, haven't thought about going after anyone. The avionics shop that did the radio on the Pacer work has a policy. He will not work on Doctor or lawyer owned aircraft because he says those are they guys that have gone after him when something that didn't work, still doesn't work and he wasn't paid to fix that.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,
    First, I hope everyone is O.K (you say “we” in your statement). Hopefully, you were insured. I have been through this, and before you deal with the FAA, here’s my 2 cents. Get your statement ready containing only what you know. Write it down and memorize it. You will write it down and sign it for the FAA. Only answer their questions, volunteer no additional information. Yes and No are the best options. This should only be an incident, not an accident. Regardless of what happened, the above is a good place to start.

From your write up, here's what I understand:
    1) You were landing with a cross wind on a gravel surface.
    2) Just at touchdown, the plane weather vaned into the wind.
    3) You lost directional control of the airplane.
    4) The right landing gear collapsed and the subsequent damage was incurred.

Everything else is supposition or accusation. Unless you are willing to slug it out, to the bitter end, don’t go down that road. Worst case, you litigate and spend a fortune. Best case, you’re vindicated and the last inspector loses his/her A/P and you still have spent a fortune. Even if your intent is not to go after the A/P.
    You will need your log book, license, medical, registration and insurance info. Get good copies made of each for the FAA person. Don't give out the originals.
    Unfortunately, you have to deal with this very soon after the incident. Focus on getting your plane back to flying. It is a good opportunity to inspect every possible place where corrosion can get you. I’m sure Steve can give you an extensive list. I would also do some of the Safety exercises on the AOPA website prior to my FAA meeting. On the positive side, no check ride should be necessary. TIME WILL MAKE THIS BETTER! Good Luck and keep us posted. - Dwain

Last edited by Dwain; 01-20-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Insured yes. Not a scratch, bump or bruise. Already into the fix it. I'm not willing to pay an attorney a single penny. The FAA wants a competency check ride. That's a $1000 plane ticket, minimum of three nights lodging, meals and expected to barrow or rent a PA20 for the check ride. Want to avoid attorney fees, no desire to go after some one.....and avoid spending money on something other than parts, my bride.....

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,

That's a $1000 plane ticket, minimum of three nights lodging, meals and expected to barrow or rent a PA20 for the check ride.

Man, that SUCKS! However, it sounds like you have a grip on this. I would do the check ride as soon as my insurance would clear me to use another plane. I really do feel your pain. - Dwain