Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sensenich ground adjustable prop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sensenich ground adjustable prop

I saw the Sensenich ground adjustable prop in action at Johnson Creek. The pilots said it out performed both Cato and McCaulley 82 inch props and could be reset for cruise in less than 10 minutes, picking up 10 to 15 mph in cruise. It is nearly certified for the PA 18. I called Sensenich and they said that they are looking into certification for Shortwing Pipers but, it is likely 2 years away. The adjustment is simple and does not require the use of a protractor. It uses a pin system that is fool proof. It might help to email Sensenich and tell them you might be interested in the Shortwing STC. Having another option for our planes is good.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sensenich ground adjustable prop

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I saw the Sensenich ground adjustable prop in action at Johnson Creek. The pilots said it out performed both Cato and McCaulley 82 inch props and could be reset for cruise in less than 10 minutes, picking up 10 to 15 mph in cruise. It is nearly certified for the PA 18. I called Sensenich and they said that they are looking into certification for Shortwing Pipers but, it is likely 2 years away. The adjustment is simple and does not require the use of a protractor. It uses a pin system that is fool proof. It might help to email Sensenich and tell them you might be interested in the Shortwing STC. Having another option for our planes is good.
    It will likely be a while before they certify one on an airplane with more than 2 seats. They used the new Part 23 to do the STC, and the requirements increase once you go beyond 2 seats. Very different concept from the old rules. They didn’t go for a TC on the prop, they certified the STC as an airframe change and the prop is PMAd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    It will likely be a while before they certify one on an airplane with more than 2 seats. They used the new Part 23 to do the STC, and the requirements increase once you go beyond 2 seats. Very different concept from the old rules. They didn’t go for a TC on the prop, they certified the STC as an airframe change and the prop is PMAd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Exactly, getting certification for a four place plane is complicated. Although, it is working for experimental aircraft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have the Sensenich ground adjustable prop on a 160 hp Super Cub. Better climb 6-7 mph better cruise, 15 lbs lighter and it has a stainless leading edge which is less prone to rock dings. With the high pitch setting it was well pover 100 mph (normally 90 mph) and still had a great climb.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have the Sensenich ground adjustable prop on a 160 hp Super Cub. Better climb 6-7 mph better cruise, 15 lbs lighter and it has a stainless leading edge which is less prone to rock dings. With the high pitch setting it was well pover 100 mph (normally 90 mph) and still had a great climb.
    This is what Pop's said. What did you have before?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A well used 1A175 8241.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    A well used 1A175 8241.
    The Sensenich is 15 lbs lighter than the 82 inch McCauley, impressive. And, better climb. This puts it close to the weight of the Cato. The Sensenich has a bigger hub but it also uses foam core for the blades.

This would be a nice improvement for the Pacer's.
    Last edited by Stephen; 06-24-2021 at 09:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I emailed them showing my hopes and enthusiasm for an STC. With any luck it will help push them towards proceeding with the approval process.

I have their wood prop that Eddie has an STC for O-360 that's taken a few good hits on the leading edge. Starting to look around for a 1a200 to hang off the nose. Dont think I can hold off until this gets approved.

I know the borer will outperform this wood one, and the fact that the composite outperforms that makes me want to go to the dark side. But I cant chance a ramp check and lose my ticket.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to them a couple months ago about an O-235 installation on the Clipper, that's when they told me about the differences in certification for 2 place vs more than 2 place. Sure would be nice to have them available for the entire line up of short wings, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    I emailed them showing my hopes and enthusiasm for an STC. With any luck it will help push them towards proceeding with the approval process.

I have their wood prop that Eddie has an STC for O-360 that's taken a few good hits on the leading edge. Starting to look around for a 1a200 to hang off the nose. Dont think I can hold off until this gets approved.

I know the borer will outperform this wood one, and the fact that the composite outperforms that makes me want to go to the dark side. But I cant chance a ramp check and lose my ticket.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    The FAA was at the Super Cub fly in last weekend and walked the line talking to pilots. One of them had a reputation for grounding planes and pilots. But, I saw them ignore numerous violations. They made a point of saying they were not ramp checking. I talked to them at my plane. It is my understanding that they cannot inspect your plane without permission. If asked I would have showed my license and medical and requested an appointment to inspect my plane.