Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Short Field Takeoffs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Short Field Takeoffs

I don't have Troy's reach so unless I really really really need it all I start my roll out with one flap to keep from having to reach my head below the panel to grab the flap bar.

With practice one doesnt have to look down.

If you do have to look down to find the handle you need to practice more before placeing yourself where the flap grab yoke yank takoff is nessacery.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the "tall" mod. When I experimented I found that I didn't have any trouble keeping my line of sight outside while going from zero to full flap.

All the discussion is great, I'm still new to my PA-22, and a new pilot to boot, and so I'm excited to hear about everyone's technique. Time to go practice and experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbond View Post
    Those of you that are adding full flaps at 50mph and them letting them back out slowly, do you have the flap handle extension STC?
    Yes but, mainly because I moved my flap mechanism forward a few inches...I also have long arms.

PS. I do like the flap handle extension.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me how much runway do you use with full flaps, at sea level, a little below gross with sulivan extensions and 850 tire at sea level.
    how much do vgs help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lots of variables, wind, temp, prop. 400-600 feet maybe. VGs will help with aileron effectiveness at slow speeds. I haven't really seen them help me get off the ground any faster but I probably have better aileron control as a get airborne.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Short Field Takeoffs

I had a ‘58 PA-22-160 (still tricycle gear)that I used for banner towing. It had a 53” pitch prop. Start take off roll with flaps up, when about 45 showed on the airspeed (usually about 300’), pull full flaps and elevator back to rotate to about 30 to 40 degrees nose up. Adjust pitch to accelerate to about 70 mph in the climb. Climb rate would be in excess of 1200 rpm even at gross at. Once clear of obstacles, lower the nose to accelerate to about 80 and slowly put flaps up. With that prop, I would be at 2700 RPM with 80 mph in the climb. Great for short field work and banner towing, but it sucked as a cross country airplane.

I used to go in and out of a 700’ strip all the time. Also operated out of a 450’ strip for one summer. On high density altitude days, that one could be a little tight.

The TriPacer can actually get out shorter than a Pacer, all other things being equal. Due to the gear being so far aft, you can rotate to a much higher AoA and develop more lift at a lower airspeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dgapilot; 11-23-2021 at 09:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guyp View Post
    Can anyone tell me how much runway do you use with full flaps, at sea level, a little below gross with sulivan extensions and 850 tire at sea level.
    how much do vgs help?
    Figure 400 or more feet.

My 0-320 150 on Goodyear's with VG's at sea level on a grass strip got off in 250 feet years ago in competition. This was in the NW in the summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Figure 400 or more feet.

My 0-320 150 on Goodyear's with VG's at sea level on a grass strip got off in 250 feet years ago in competition. This was in the NW in the summer.
    Before or after the Bushmaster STC..??

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    Before or after the Bushmaster STC..??

Brian
    Now I get off in 150 feet. Well under gross, cool day at sea level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guyp View Post
    Can anyone tell me how much runway do you use with full flaps, at sea level, a little below gross with Sullivan extensions and 850 tire at sea level?
    As stated above, don't apply flaps until you reach rotate speed.
    Otherwise you are starting from a standstill with airbrakes applied.
    If you cannot easily/safely reach the flap handle from your normal takeoff posture, you could temporarily add a ~4" diameter loop of 1/4" nylon rope an inch before the end of the handle (using a ~2" diameter hose clamp) to have something easier to reach.
    Don't take your eyes off the runway ahead until you achieve a positive rate of climb, then, as mentioned before, slowly reduce flaps and establish normal climb.
    Remember, adding this is assist loop is purely experimental and should be removed as soon as you have collected your data.
    Wink wink.

GG