Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Trimmer stc for PA18 gear modifications

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trimmer stc for PA18 gear modifications

Thanks, I found everything I was looking for in these pictures.

The key tube work includes, 1. The left front door post which is why the left wing needs removal. In my situation I did the Day & Night left door STC, long ago, which required a new 1 inch door post which surpasses the Trimmer requirement. I called Eddie to find out why only the left tube needed replacing, he said it was the engineers call. 2. The cross member between the front gear attachment needs removed and beefed up. 3. A new cross member between the new rear gear attachment is added.

This sounds like a fun winter project but, will it really be an improvement?
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

If your doing a lot of off airports ops then probably. The cub gear is more stout but also more draggy. That being said, if you covered the gear legs in fabric it might negate that.
    I couldn't tell you performance wise as I've only known the cub gear setup on a pacer.
    My pacer appears to be more stable on the ground than others I've flown, but it has 31's which soak up a tremendous amount of garbage; so hard to tell.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    If your doing a lot of off airports ops then probably. The cub gear is more stout but also more draggy. That being said, if you covered the gear legs in fabric it might negate that.
    I couldn't tell you performance wise as I've only known the cub gear setup on a pacer.
    My pacer appears to be more stable on the ground than others I've flown, but it has 31's which soak up a tremendous amount of garbage; so hard to tell.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    I figure some extra drag but, my current Pacer gear are not covered. Since the Trimmer STC uses the Maule oleo the actual extra drag should mostly be from the cabane vee. The underside of the fuselage will be a bit smoother. The other down side might be some additional weight. Although, the STC eliminates the bungees and hydosorbs. There is some extra tubing added. I have destroyed Pacer gear once landing on rough surface. Plus, this should be a fun winter project.
    Last edited by Stephen; 11-06-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Husky has a similar gear as the Pacer. There is an STC to install Super Cub gear, cabane and the AOSS suspension system on the Husky. I did this several years ago and even with the gear covered it slowed the Husky down. Don't remember how much, to long ago.
    https://goo.gl/photos/A6iNGRX7jCQfjyat5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    The Husky has a similar gear as the Pacer. There is an STC to install Super Cub gear, cabane and the AOSS suspension system on the Husky. I did this several years ago and even with the gear covered it slowed the Husky down. Don't remember how much, to long ago.
    https://goo.gl/photos/A6iNGRX7jCQfjyat5
    I talked to my friend Jerry Burr yesterday about this. He said that Wayne M experimented with the cabane vee and found that making a deeper vee made several mph improvement. Jerry speculated that getting the vee out of the slip stream help reduce drag. Have you heard about this? It seems that an easy change like this would be popular.
    Last edited by Stephen; 11-06-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone converted to Trimmer PA18 gear from typical Pacer gear and know the effects of the PA18 gear on cruise?

Post Thanks / Like

Not a clue.. upgraded to the 160hp. It pulled 2480 static with a 74” 62 pitch. WOT 2510 RPM @ 124 MPH…at 2400 cruise at 117 MPH. 9.5 GPH. Repitched to 59. Cruise 115 at 2450’ish. 8.3 GPH. Will be covering the gear with 0.020” 2024 eventually. She’s wearing 26” Goodyears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Not a clue.. upgraded to the 160hp. It pulled 2480 static with a 74” 62 pitch. WOT 2510 RPM @ 124 MPH…at 2400 cruise at 117 MPH. 9.5 GPH. Repitched to 59. Cruise 115 at 2450’ish. 8.3 GPH. Will be covering the gear with 0.020” 2024 eventually. She’s wearing 26” Goodyears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I’ve heard that if you make a faired extension on the back side of the aft round tube it helps clean up drag.

Post Thanks / Like

My KitFox had faired wood pieces attached to the rear tubes on the landing gear.
    The gear leg fabric covering encapsulated all of that. Same as the lift struts. Cheaper and lighter than streamlined tubing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    My KitFox had faired wood pieces attached to the rear tubes on the landing gear.
    The gear leg fabric covering encapsulated all of that. Same as the lift struts. Cheaper and lighter than streamlined tubing.
    Hope, Kitfox is not using balsa wood to keep them flying.