Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PA-22-150 160HP upgrade

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22-150 160HP upgrade

We found a crack in the crankcase of Ole Blue at annual this year so it is in need of some TLC. The engine shop is offering to do the 160hp pistons and they have the documentation for the engine and the IA I am working with is in contact with the local FSDO discussing how best to complete the paperwork on the airframe.

The Inspector is willing to work with us but is asking for information. Does anyone have a 337 from a previous mod we can use and if not, the Inspector is looking for information on what changes there will be to include: 1)any change to the Flight Manual, 2)will it be the same prop, 3)will there be any placard or markings changes 4)anything Other items I am missing. Will a new W&B be required for a swap in pistons?

The TC looks like no changes between the two years if I am reading it right?

Thanks Ya’ll. Chris

Post Thanks / Like

We found a crack in the crankcase of Ole Blue at annual this year so it is in need of some TLC. The engine shop is offering to do the 160hp pistons and they have the documentation for the engine and the IA I am working with is in contact with the local FSDO discussing how best to complete the paperwork on the airframe.

The Inspector is willing to work with us but is asking for information. Does anyone have a 337 from a previous mod we can use and if not, the Inspector is looking for information on what changes there will be to include: 1)any change to the Flight Manual, 2)will it be the same prop, 3)will there be any placard or markings changes 4)anything Other items I am missing. Will a new W&B be required for a swap in pistons?

The TC looks like no changes between the two years if I am reading it right?

Thanks Ya’ll. Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that compliance with the TCDS would be sufficent. It would probably come down to SN range of fuselage, if yours is a latter model it should be pretty simple.

Post Thanks / Like

Ours falls under IV and I see that VI includes the serial number for mine but I was told to seek the information above because that model is not listed in IV.

Post Thanks / Like

I had my engine upgraded in 2007 from a narrow deck 150 HP Lycoming O-320 to a wide deck 160 HP Lycoming O-320 B-2-B. I researched back then and got many different answers about changing a narrow deck engine from 150 HP to 160 HP. Some people had the opinion that it is OK to just install higher compression pistons and some told me it is not Lycoming approved. My engine shop had a wide deck case available and traded it for my narrow deck. The flight manual for my (1960) (Tri) Pacer did not change because of the increase in HP. Same weight and airspeed limitations as before.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

I did a 150 to 160 installation years ago. With the 160, the static RPM limits are different, and of course the fuel type is different. Back then you couldn’t do flight manual supplements with field approvals, so I did a placard. If I were to do one today, I would just change the model, add a supplemental data plate, and use the 160 flight manual. Biggest issue then is changing your airworthiness certificate and registration. All in all, a pretty easy DER approval.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My PA-22-160 actually has a 150hp O-320 (no suffix) installed via a form 337 in 1964. The version of the TCDS back then lists that engine as a approved alternate engine for that airframe based on SN. The TCDS has been changed since but that was the approved data they used back then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    I had my engine upgraded in 2007 from a narrow deck 150 HP Lycoming O-320 to a wide deck 160 HP Lycoming O-320 B-2-B. I researched back then and got many different answers about changing a narrow deck engine from 150 HP to 160 HP. Some people had the opinion that it is OK to just install higher compression pistons and some told me it is not Lycoming approved. My engine shop had a wide deck case available and traded it for my narrow deck. The flight manual for my (1960) (Tri) Pacer did not change because of the increase in HP. Same weight and airspeed limitations as before.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Was there a measurable weight difference going from a narrow deck to a wide deck engine?
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen, I don't know of any weight difference between the O-320 and O- 320 B-2-B. I did a lot of changes and upgrades back then including ditching the original exhaust for a Sutton exhaust, generator to alternator, light weight starter, etc. . After everything was done a new weight and balance was done and the Pacer was lighter than before.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose09 View Post
    My PA-22-160 actually has a 150hp O-320 (no suffix) installed via a form 337 in 1964. The version of the TCDS back then lists that engine as a approved alternate engine for that airframe based on SN. The TCDS has been changed since but that was the approved data they used back then.
    Since going from a 160 to a 150 was on the TCDS as an alternate engine for the -160 there was no need for a 337 as anything on the TCDS is a minor alteration. What most people don’t understand is that the 160hp engine is NOT listed as an alternate for the PA-22-150, so that is a major alteration requiring approved data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk