Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Panel! (Pictures)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Show Us Your Panel! (Pictures)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post

The latest “interim” version of my panel. GNC355 and GTX345 tied together. KY97A and KA134 retained, removed the Narco 122 because it rarely worked. Now I’m thinking either a CGI30P and/or pulling the vacuum instruments and system. Probably just wait and do a fuselage rebuild. Reminder of where I started.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jim, nice clean panel. I have started on a panel make over. Not as far as new avionics or instruments, but just repaint and replacing the labels and stickers. What stickers/lettering did you use?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Nice panel, Jim. Love the white. I see you got rid of the "hump" (I think your plane and mine were probably on opposite ends of the assembly line in '57).

What are you using for a compass? I'd love to get rid of my vertical card compass ... it's blocking my view and usually lying to me.

Regards,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    Jim, nice clean panel. I have started on a panel make over. Not as far as new avionics or instruments, but just repaint and replacing the labels and stickers. What stickers/lettering did you use?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Most of the labels predate my ownership. The ones I added are just from a Brother brand label maker. Clear with black letters.

1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Default Show Us Your Panel! (Pictures)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Iriarte View Post
    Nice panel, Jim. Love the white. I see you got rid of the "hump" (I think your plane and mine were probably on opposite ends of the assembly line in '57).

What are you using for a compass? I'd love to get rid of my vertical card compass ... it's blocking my view and usually lying to me.

Regards,
    Chris
    Chris, hump is still there. Only changes have been radios and “invisible” stuff like wiring. Previous to my ownership they hung the compass on the windscreen more like a Cessna 172. That’s what I hang my fuzzy dice from.

Lifetime EAA member

Post Thanks / Like

The 56 and later hump panels had big heat clunky AN instruments of varying sizes.
    A lot of panel updates keep the hump and surrounding structure, but replace the insert/overlay with newer, smaller flight instruments that can be arranged in a more uniform six-pack and look a lot cleaner.
    Nowadays folks are installing G5s and other digital instruments, iPads, synthetic vision, warp drive and photon torpedo launchers so the look is very slick and functional.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,

I had to go back and compare our pics ... I see yours *does* have a hump ... and mine has a hump on the hump! What's up with that?

I like your compass placement much better, too. Probably gets it away from deviation sources, too.

Regards,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Iriarte View Post
    Jim,

I had to go back and compare our pics ... I see yours *does* have a hump ... and mine has a hump on the hump! What's up with that?

I like your compass placement much better, too. Probably gets it away from deviation sources, too.

Regards,
    Chris
    I’ve seen Cherokees with a radio hump, I’m assuming that’s what you have. Back before “slimline” radios! As for the compass, I need to have it reswung, it isn’t right, but you are correct, it’s pretty far from most of the metal and electronics.
    Lifetime EAA member

Post Thanks / Like

So with all the panel pictures, what solutions have everyone come up with for the placards that are required? Screen printing on the panel? Stick on labels? Decals?

I'm trying to decide on panel color, and if I go with a dark color, then the placards would be white. I haven't found any easy way to make white on clear decals. Any suggestions? Where have others either gotten their panels screen printed or white on clear decals?

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I had a better pic of my current panel to be able to show the labeling I have, but this will have to do for now...

This is the product I used:

I have had dark panel for some time. Previous to current, I printed on white label and printed the dark background on the label and had white letters stand out.

The above, is white printing on a clear label sheet. Cannon InkJet printer. It’s a gloss sheet, but then spray the protective coating on for the matte finish.
    Then I cut and placed labels to panel, then also sprayed a matte or semi clear over all, helping to secure the edges of the labels.
    You can still see them from the right viewing angle, but I think it works ok. Helped to have label one long consistent length where possible versus multiple short labels.

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been really liking my Brother label maker, although I have a deep blue panel so I’ve been making black labels with white letters. I think Jim mentioned he uses a clear label? It’s been very useful for labeling wires behind the panel, too as you can have it in your lap and make labels on the fly.

Regards,
    Chris