Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Svenn Wing Tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Svenn Wing Tips

Unfortunately for me my Svenn wing tip has just arrived and it turns out I didn't do my research as they're no longer than the original wings, just squared off. I'd love to know what these tips are installed here http://soundsaero.co.nz/pacer-modifications Rather than using the Dakota cub wingtip is there a longer one that doesn't require the wing to be altered just screwed on?
    I was hoping to gain an extra 2ft of wing length but the Svenn tips doesn't extend just squares. My question is will I notice any performance improvements from removing the round end and squaring off the tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Svenn Wing Tips

You will notice that the Svenn tip is one rib shorter than the other type plus the tip itself is longer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

The ones you are looking at are "sullivan's' wing tips.

Post Thanks / Like

there isn't a tip that screws on to extend the wing much ,you have to splice the spars and add length by extending the spars and adding a couple ribs ,the Sullivan tip is longer than the other one but the stc has you extend the wing ,the fergusson droop tips also extended the wing in the same way

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think there will be any performance improvements with the squared Svenn tip? I have already had it installed as part of some other work. Could I buy the Sullivan stc and add the extra rib? Or even add the old round tip back onto the end if the svenn? That would at least give me an extra foot or so? I was looking at getting the longest tip mod and have somehow ended up with the shortest!

Post Thanks / Like

David - I don't think any of the mods actually increase the span. I have the Ferguson tips and they simply square off the tip by removing the tip bows and ribs, straightening the spar cap strips and inserting a piece of 1/8" plate the same length as the tapered cap strips. Two new ribs are installed - the outer one made from 1/4" ply. The droop tip is then attached to the ply rib. (Very heavy).

Looking at your photos I would say that the Svenn tips are exactly the same. The increased wing area comes from the squaring off rather than an increase in spar length.

If you would like a copy of the Ferguson STC, pm me and I will send you a photocopy by snail mail.

Post Thanks / Like

The Plane Booster tips are heavy, but they extend the wings slightly andextend the drooped part past the added plywood rib reinforcement.
    The drooped tips have one added advantags discovered by an FAA inspector when she attemped to actually fly a taildragger. The tips are scarificial in a bad groundloop and plow a pretty furrow and will smash before overloading the wing to some extent. Cost of groundloop.....
    1. Embarrased FAA inspector (the faa now sends then to OK to groundloop in private)
    2. repair tip.
    3. replace damaged wheel half.
    4. inspect wing

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple sets of plane booster tips here 1 set is older and is heavy ,the other is a new set and very light ,so they must have changed them somewhere along the line ,I guess curly is correct that they don't actually extend the actual wing but rather make it full size all the way to the end and then add the tip so they do add some wing area and yes I am sure they do add lift ,I would call svenn and see what he did ,his are extended in the same way they way it looks in his pictures ,also it looks like the airplane in the link you posted [cant think of his name at the moment craig? anyway it looks like he has an extra rib on his wing ,his looks longer than others

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The more wing outboard of the ailerons the worse the roll rate.