Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New pilot, is a pa-22 / pa-22/20 the right plane for me?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New pilot, is a pa-22 / pa-22/20 the right plane for me?

HAHAHA! Thank you all very very much!
    I am so happy to hear all of your opinions and experiences, if I wasn't convinced this was the plane for me, I am now!

Can wait to post pictures of my new baby once I find her.

Happy flying all!

Ian

Post Thanks / Like

You silly Frenchy Canadian. I'm a "trader"? And they let you fly the "big iron"? I'm assuming you mean "traitor"? As in "Benedict Arnold"? Or "trader", meaning I can't decide if I want a shortwing Piper or a shortwing Maule so I keep trading? If it's the later, you're right. I do miss my TP. Just for the record, I have NO desire for a Cessnasaur or a cirrus thingy. I'd be forced to leave this forum and you guys would be lost without my witty and endearing personality, my vast mechanical knowledge input and my awesome aviator Piper SW experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwdurham View Post
    You silly Frenchy Canadian. I'm a "trader"? And they let you fly the "big iron"? I'm assuming you mean "traitor"? As in "Benedict Arnold"? Or "trader", meaning I can't decide if I want a shortwing Piper or a shortwing Maule so I keep trading? If it's the later, you're right. I do miss my TP. Just for the record, I have NO desire for a Cessnasaur or a cirrus thingy. I'd be forced to leave this forum and you guys would be lost without my witty and endearing personality, my vast mechanical knowledge input and my awesome aviator Piper SW experience.
    Don't forget your great history and past experiences of many years of being a connoisseur of the finest dog nuts known to mankind.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ian....Welcome,

I have the 125HP version PA20 ('52), and I see about 115 mph on my plane in cruise...right around 100KTS. It's a great little plane, and reasonable on the pocketbook.
    It hasn't really been touched on here, so I'll say it....I would stay away from the O-290 engine (125-135HP) as these engines are not supported anymore by Lycoming...meaning they don't make parts for them. Parts are still out there, but they can be costly, and new cylinders are not available.
    Now the O-320 (150-160HP) are still supported by the factory, and parts and new cylinders are readily available.

Something for you to consider....

Post Thanks / Like

I really think one can not beat our shortwingers for value regardless of the motor or wheel configuration. I run floats, skis, and every few years wheels in my Tripacer.

What I have seen more then a few times is a low information/new aircraft owner get together with a similarly challenged A&P, or worse the know it all gold plater, and just get screwed. I am fortunate in this regard as my mechanic is nether and has been know to work for food, blue gas, or romantic considerations; he is cheap but not easy.

I think the real success to owning any aircraft is the relationship of trust and respect you develop with the person who in the end becomes responsible for both yourself and your passengers lives. I truly believe this to be even more so with our Shortwings.

Keep the questions coming and remember a photo is worth a thousands comments.

Rocket

grayfloats.jpg
    Last edited by rocket; 04-12-2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: teaser photo

Post Thanks / Like

OOps
    Go to Ak outdoors forum and then bush flying. Wasilla Ak, plane made a tree landing and pilot walked away. Just fly it to the crash site.
    DENNY