Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crankcase Vent Fitting and Breather Tube

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Crankcase Breather Tube on O-320

A Lone Star Burger and Ninkasi Tricerahops at Ringo's Tavern has helped immensely. I'll soon head home and watch classic Star Trek. Maybe eat some brownies.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Crankcase Breather Tube on O-320

I just checked my spare accessory case and it is a 5/8" tube with a internal rolled swag just like what the Continental push rod housing tool leaves - but the swag is in 1.75" in from the outside. Again anything that will slightly expand it will work - maybe a small expandable puller would do the job - this is not a major concern being the breather tube as long as it stay in place - you might even just replace the soft hose and push it down snug to the case with some sealer on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 5/8" Aluminum tubing for breather down tubes?

I merged your old thread with this new one. I Google your name and "crankcase vent" and found it. The crankcase overhaul shops have rented me the tool to repair them before. In a pinch I have sealed them with PRC fuel tank sealant. I will check the diameter of my Continental pushrod tube tool. Have been using it much because we have been converting them to the Real Gasket removable tubes like on the big Continetals.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Crankcase Vent Fitting and Breather Tube

Can someone tell me what Piper did to go from the 3/4 inch crankcase fitting to the 5/8 vent tubing? For the O-235 the Piper part number is 82371-056. The hose I'm replacing is a 3/4 inch hose with a short piece of 5/8 hose inserted in one end to adapt that end down to the 5/8 tubing. Is that what Piper did? Or is 82371-056 something different?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Piper used a swedged tube that went from 3/4" to 5/8”. I just use 3/4" since most of the original crankcase vent tubes are junk by now.

Post Thanks / Like

That explains it. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just got back to the hangar and took a picture.
    IMG_20200620_192617.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 5/8" Aluminum tubing for breather down tubes?

Quote Originally Posted by John_McF View Post
    Hi All,

Is there an issue with combining Air Oil Separator tube with Crankcase vent, above the bottom cowl line, so only 1 tube is exiting the cowl?

Or does eveybody just dump these in to the Cowl exit area as two pipes?

Cheers
    John
    After a 5 year rebuild I forgot about having multiple draft tubes. I tee’d the crankcase breather and my wet pump to the inlet side of my air oil separator. The plane was puking oil, about 3-4 quarts an hour and soaking the belly. Somehow I think the vacuum pump exhaust was pressuring up the whole crankcase and forcing the oil overboard. I ended up getting a dry vacuum pump and used the air oil separator on the crankcase with a PCV system.

Post Thanks / Like

I made a tool, actually three pieces to expand the 5/8" tube to 3/4" like Piper did. I'm not sure it is worth doing, but I have a 5/8" tube bender and not a 3/4" bender, so when a hammer is the only tool you have, all of your problems look like nails. I would just use the 3/4" 5052 tube and call it a day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-builder View Post
    I made a tool, actually three pieces to expand the 5/8" tube to 3/4" like Piper did. I'm not sure it is worth doing, but I have a 5/8" tube bender and not a 3/4" bender, so when a hammer is the only tool you have, all of your problems look like nails. I would just use the 3/4" 5052 tube and call it a day.
    Do you have pictures?