Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Door Frame Corrosion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Door Frame Corrosion

I had bought a miller dynasty about 8 years ago and like it so far. The new welders sold at harbor freight (Vulcan) have
    gotten OK reviews on the welding forums---- not a nice as miller --- but maybe easier to get spare parts for than made in china everlast. The everlast apparently work fine-- but everyone is concerned that if a circuit board blows- the whole thing is disposable. The Vulcan is (I believe) made in America or designed in America--- to avoid the replacement parts avail. problem. You can read the thread on weldingweb about it.

I was noticing that on the doors--- each different side of the door is a different size squ tube...…. Seems like a strange way to do things--- that they wouldn't standardize the tube size---- but I guess they didn't have to since they were making their own material----- but it makes it kind of a pain now-----

I will see if I can do Steve's fix with the inner sleeve. (if I have scrap material for the outer section--)

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Piper bought the tubing. It is made like towel bars are made with a folded seam. The doors were all 1/16" tubing. Someone probably repaired your doors with something else. I did not do any inner sleeves, simply cut at an angle and butt welded together. It is not a structural part but a fairing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by violinmaker View Post
    I had bought a miller dynasty about 8 years ago and like it so far. The new welders sold at harbor freight (Vulcan) have
    gotten OK reviews on the welding forums---- not a nice as miller --- but maybe easier to get spare parts for than made in china everlast. The everlast apparently work fine-- but everyone is concerned that if a circuit board blows- the whole thing is disposable. The Vulcan is (I believe) made in America or designed in America--- to avoid the replacement parts avail. problem. You can read the thread on weldingweb about it.

Tim
    I’ve got an Everlasting 210EXT, been using it for about 3 years now, so far so good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard mostly good reports from everlast users-- they seem to weld great--- just some are worried about getting parts --- That's the single biggest reason I went with miller- even though it was 3x the price of Chinese.

Steve--- wow that surprises that piper didn't mfg. that stuff.....
    I have 3 doors (pieces of doors--) and it looks like every tube is a different size even on one door---- that's a little confusing---

Post Thanks / Like

Steve:
    "I used a piece of 5/8" 4130 square tube as a liner to reinforce the splice. Since the original tube is a hemmed seam I had to cut a longitudinal groove in the sleeve tube so it would slide inside of the original hemmed 11/16" tubing that Piper built the door out of."

This is what I was referring to when I said "inner sleeve" - did you take the 5/8 tube and cut one side off to clear the
    doubled side of the piper tune ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by violinmaker View Post
    Steve:
    "I used a piece of 5/8" 4130 square tube as a liner to reinforce the splice. Since the original tube is a hemmed seam I had to cut a longitudinal groove in the sleeve tube so it would slide inside of the original hemmed 11/16" tubing that Piper built the door out of."

This is what I was referring to when I said "inner sleeve" - did you take the 5/8 tube and cut one side off to clear the
    doubled side of the piper tune ?
    I guess I did do a tube in a tube splice. Slept to many times and worked on to many airplanes since then I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet every single person whose plane you repair is thankfull to have someone that knows how to do work thats to the bone solis and done to be proud of.
    I have seen some ( a few really) that just got my blood pressure up they were such jacklegs-- a couple were even IA's---- but many more were guys I loved to watch
    work--- likes to observe how they though about approaches to problem solving... and ways to fix problems so they stay fixed. I suspect many of us here are thankfull to have
    help when were on the learning curve.
    T

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so here I am spankin' this old thread, standing here with my rotted out lower door frame on my spare door that I'm turning into a patrol door with window in the lower, normally sheet metal area. I wasted a couple hours trying to oxy acet. (gas weld with really small tip), the rusted out part of the lower frame bottom. I learned this lesson about 30 years ago, so had to relearn it tonight. Dumb ass. Should have just cut it out and replaced...So, now having relearned the lesson I am going to section out about 10 to 12 inches of the lowermost part and replace it with something. Prolly some 5/8" 4130 chrom-molybd. Unless someone here knows better now. 11/16" with .020' wall available anywhere? Please advise as I'm going after this fast. Thanks.
    -Subsonic
    Last edited by Subsonic; 07-16-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have used 5/8" 4130 or sections of an old door to repair.

Post Thanks / Like

I fixed mine with 5/8 square 4130 with the corner ground off to slide in the original roll formed tube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk