Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Door Frame Corrosion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Door Frame Corrosion

After removing the door on Cathy's TriPacer to repair the gummed up latch I also noticed this corrosion on the bottom front corner.

I cut the damaged area out, sand blasted the area and then used a section out of another wrecked door to make a repair section out of. I used a piece of 5/8" 4130 square tube as a liner to reinforce the splice. Since the original tube is a hemmed seam I had to cut a longitudinal groove in the sleeve tube so it would slide inside of the original hemmed 11/16" tubing that Piper built the door out of.

Now I just have to sandblast, prime and paint the rest of the door and then fit some new sheet metal on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Door Frame Corrosion

Nice work there Steve... Dad just did a repair on the project Pacer's rear door where he removed one half of the original tube and replaced it with a 90 degree bent piece of new... worked good..

I see some missing headliner.. Starting on the skylight mod.??

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine had the same problem, in the same location. I had to replace the hinge too.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you guys seem to be comparing door issues here is a photo of mine. Had to replace the whole lower tube on the rear door
    .003.jpg I am working on the engine nowand still think that 8103C will be back in the air this summer, we are still getting snow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hiebert View Post
    Mine had the same problem, in the same location. I had to replace the hinge too.
    Did you find any corrosion in he main fuselage?

Post Thanks / Like

As a by-product of a Trimmer Seaplane door mod, I have a well repaired left door for a Clipper. Anyone interested?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    As a by-product of a Trimmer Seaplane door mod, I have a well repaired left door for a Clipper. Anyone interested?
    I must have been looking at it backward, MEANT "RIGHT DOOR", or maybe it was Dyslexia.
    It is a right door.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same problem on the rear door. So now I need to find a used door or a good welder! Still trying to figure out how to pot pictures from the iphone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRBPA16 View Post
    I have the same problem on the rear door. So now I need to find a used door or a good welder! Still trying to figure out how to pot pictures from the iphone.
    You should be able to navigate and add photos taken from your IPhone and in your Photo Library easy enough. For attaching non photo documents like PDFs or Photos taken with other Digital Cameras then Drop Box is a good tool. With Drop Box you store Photos and Docs out in the cloud from Windows or IOS devices then from your IPhone you can download and attach to your SWPO Post. Drop Box is free storage up to about 8 GByte size limit. ( Initially they allocate you 2 GBytes, but seems like as you use it up they offer more as I now have 8GB with no annual cost )
    Last edited by Brian; 06-16-2015 at 06:18 AM.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRBPA16 View Post
    Are you using a browser or Tapatalk?
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member