Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Door Frame Corrosion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Door Frame Corrosion

You can use 5/8" square 4130 tubing. It will slide into the door frame if one corner is ground away about an inch. I cut the door frame at 45 deg. TIG weld the corners. You may want to space out the surface with some aluminum.
    The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CLayton, I cut the bad stuff out and going to slip and piece inside the bottom rail as an added support. Looking at TIG welders right now, seems Everlast TIG ac/dc 180 is a good little unit and would weld anything on an airframe. The Miller welders are off the chart expensive.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by DRBPA16 View Post
    Thanks CLayton, I cut the bad stuff out and going to slip and piece inside the bottom rail as an added support. Looking at TIG welders right now, seems Everlast TIG ac/dc 180 is a good little unit and would weld anything on an airframe. The Miller welders are off the chart expensive.
    Good Morning, I had to get a Tig Welder to do some welding on my airframe this spring. Cant speak for the Everlast models personally but have had welders complain to me about the stability of the arc. If you are new to it, you want to try get a decent welder as Tig itself is not easy to learn. (assuming you are new to it). I broke down and bought Dynasty 200 no regrets! but you should look for a used Syncrowave from Miller or decent Lincoln if you are on a budget. I have had few welders in my time and even built a few from Heavy Duty Power Supplies from Communications equipment and one from DC 3 Aircraft Generator. But One thing is certain is cheap welders usually have cheap results.

Post Thanks / Like

Default funky squ. tube for door frame repairs ?

I notice the door frames are a funky squ tube made by folding thin,flat sheet over 5 times. Does that raw
    material still exist to use for repairs ? If "no"---- does everybody just use the thinnest wall chrome-molly
    in 5/8 or 3/4 ?????? (and just put in a new piece of that for the full length of the section --)

I am guessing that material maybe has some kind of resistance weld on the two sides which overlap (?)
    which would be hard to duplicate.....
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: funky squ. tube for door frame repairs ?

Iíve got the same issue. The thinnest wall tube is .035 I think, and original is .020 as I remember. Havenít decided how Iíll fix mine yet, weld a new tube in the bottom, or clean out the corrosion and weld on some .020 formed into a channel as a repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You could take 2 pieces of the bigger piper channel and nest them-- and spot weld down both sides--- but I don't much
    like that idea----
    I would not see a big problem with the .035 regular square except it does not match the size of what piper had----
    (which seems completely odd-ball----)

Post Thanks / Like

I expect it was some kind of mild low carbon steel which was rolled onto a square form and then slid off. Low carbon
    to prevent any spring back -- which would have made it impossible to make--- (I would think-)
    Like to see what the machine looked like that made it ……..

Post Thanks / Like

I made a piece of 11/16 square tubing by welding two angles together that I bent on my brake, from 24 gauge sheet metal. 5/8 was a little too small and 3/4 was a little too large.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Merged your thread with another on the subject. I use an another old door as a donor for material or use 5/8" 4130 square tubing.

Post Thanks / Like

As I recall from 10 years ago I had the same problem as steve and the tube was like 5/8 id 11/16 od square. I believe I needed a piece about 10" so I made it out of 3/4 x 5/8 from McMasters by surface grinding 4 sides and grinding a radius on the corners on a belt sander.
    -Super Stub-