Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing myself...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Introducing myself...

2i2,
    Before you count yourself out for a 3d Class, Join the AOPA Medical Group. It cost you about $100 per year, I think. If you have not had problem in years, it may not take that much for a Special Issuance. As retired ALPA, I have access to a group AeroMedical that get pro pilots their 1st Class back, all the time. I heard they were even able to get a "heart replacement pilot" his cert. back (that's what I heard, don't know if I believe it, but....).
    The A&P takes about 2000 hour of class (6 hours 4 days a week for 18 months). I do some part time instructing in an A&P school, and it is a grind to do school and a real job at the same time.
    Like Stephen, I'd vote for a Stinson too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really like the Vagabond, lot more than a Chief, more room, flies better and better supported. Great airplane.

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy is 6'9" and can get into my Colt. Flies from the right seat. Colt isn't light sport though.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of these aircraft mentioned will take tall people. It's a matter of getting in and out gracefully. The only time you don't have to be careful and watch your step is when you are bailing out in an emergency.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kloudking1 View Post
    My buddy is 6'9" and can get into my Colt. Flies from the right seat. Colt isn't light sport though.
    Where does he put his legs? In a J3 you can rest them outside on the strut.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Steve Pierce;69105]I really like the Vagabond, lot more than a Chief, more room, flies better and better supported. Great airplane.[/QUOTE

Steve I agree I would take 1 Vag over 10 Chiefs - just hard to come by]

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen,
    It's cramped for him but he gets in there. I think he puts left foot on left side, left rudder pedal and right foot on right side right rudder pedal.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

When I was looking at what I might purchase for my LSA days, I looked at every small certified single on the ramp at Fairbanks back in '09
    Great assortment of ships to examine. T-crafts, chiefs, Luscombe, Champs, Cubs, Vags. The Vag had the best entry and inside room for my
    ever getting worse creaky, 6ft, 210# body. Everything else was too small or too hard to get into.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking Swick T-craft conversion.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to plan a trip to Lock Haven next month, unless I come across something to look at and sit in in the interim. Planers are like a pair of pants in a way- you have to try them on to see how they really fit.

Since I was curious, I ordered the Vagabond drawings from the SWPC to look over. Those title blocks reminded me of my mechanical drawing days. I enjoyed reading the BOM's and revisions.

By the way about Chiefs. My Mom's cousin married a pilot (he's the one that took me up in the 170 when I was 3). When they got married in 1955, they had their honeymoon in Mexico City. How did they get there? They left Dayton in a 65 HP Chief- beleive it or not! as far as navaids, there was a radio, and that was it. He wrote up the flight for AOPA Pilot back then. I asked him about it a couple of years ago, they had a really nice flight and a good time- he was a bit puzzled why I'd not pich a 150 or 172 so I explained LSA to him.

Anyway you can go quite a distance and an altitude with 65 hp...

Dennis