Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to replace an inner tube on Tripacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to replace an inner tube on Tripacer

Hi All,
    Been a while since I have checked in.
    I noticed that my Right tire has been very slowly oozing air (about a week to flat) and noticed the base of the valve stem bubbles a little when soapy water sprayed on it. My tires are almost brand new and I think that the inner tube wasn't replaced when they replaced the tire. The valve itself is not leaking but the base of the stem is.
    My question is, how do I jack up (never jacked up the bird before) and remove the tire? Are there any videos on this? I do know to let the air out before I do this so I don't get injured. I'm sure this is pretty simple but wanted to get a head start on what to expect.
    Thanks!
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to replace an inner tube on Tripacer

Quote Originally Posted by Moosewood View Post
    Hi All,
    Been a while since I have checked in.
    I noticed that my Right tire has been very slowly oozing air (about a week to flat) and noticed the base of the valve stem bubbles a little when soapy water sprayed on it. My tires are almost brand new and I think that the inner tube wasn't replaced when they replaced the tire. The valve itself is not leaking but the base of the stem is.
    My question is, how do I jack up (never jacked up the bird before) and remove the tire? Are there any videos on this? I do know to let the air out before I do this so I don't get injured. I'm sure this is pretty simple but wanted to get a head start on what to expect.
    Thanks!
    Mark
    I use a small floor jack with a piece of wood or rag on the cup and jack the axle behind the wheel and brake. Make sure the brake line doesn't get pinched when jacking. If you have disk brakes, you will need to cut safety wire and remove the bolts that hold the caliper and back plate together (not sure about drum brakes), release air from tire, remove the cotter pin and axle nut that holds the wheel on and remove the wheel. Take three bolts loose that holds wheel together, separate wheel from tire and remove inner tube. Add some talcum powder to inside of tire getting it all around inside and install new inner tube.(Now while you have wheel off is a good time to examine and repack bearings). Position inner tube valve stem adjacent to red dot on tire sidewall, put some powder on inner tube and insert wheel haves being careful not to pinch tube. Make sure valve stem is positioned in wheel half adjacent to red dot. Re install opposite of removal. Don't forget to lockwire caliper bolts and cotter pin axle nut.
    Last edited by kloudking1; 06-02-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

We just did a floor jack under the leg. We have a tail dragger so I don't know if that changes things. Just in case, you might want to support the tail.

Interesting discussion last weekend by AOPA on Owner Maintenance and changing tires was a topic they covered. They pointed out that per the FAR you can change the tire but you're not allowed to remove the brake. Since you need to before you can remove the wheel, that made perfect sense coming from the FAA. Based on that, he said you would have to get a mechanic to remove/install the brake while you did the work on the wheel. I'm not arguing his point but simply passing it along. Personally, I would think it would be implied under the rule as long as you don't dissemble the hydraulic lines and just pull it out of the way.

One interesting point they made and I remember this being a real PIA, was concerning getting the tire to let go of the rim. In the picture he showed, he used a drill press (without a drill in it) to press on the tire and break the bead loose -after removing the air of course. He also said somebody else put a 2x4 on top and dropped the hangar door on it to break it loose. I just remember getting that to let loose was 90% of the time it took to change the tire & tube.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

A&P 101:

remove air before removing cotter pin and nut!

Back to my 4930 patch job :/ ...

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

breaking the tire bead from the rim can be a real challenge. I have one set of wheels that are almost impossible to break loose,
    I made a ring of 1/8" x 1.5 inch steel, bending to a circle using a torch, vice and pliers to grab the hot iron. Got it to a diameter
    just a little bit bigger than the rim, then welded it to be a full circle ring. I put a 2x6 on top of that and the tire and sometimes it
    will pop the bead by standing on it, sometimes have to use the press.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all. Those are great comments and suggestions.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

This is all great info! Changing a tire on my Pacer this weekend. Took the wheel pants off and noticed there is a nice little slice in the sidewall of one of my tires.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we are doing the same. We seem to have an intermittent leak in one tire. It usually is fine but twice now we have come in the hangar to find the tire has gone flat. Probably a pinched tube that has to be in the right position to actually leak out. It might be patch-able but we bought a new tube anyway. Figure we will install the new tube and repair the old (if possible) to keep as a spare. That (having a spare) guarantees we won't have a problem again. Kind of amazed that the tube ($55 @ Desser) was almost as expensive as a tire.

We bought a bead-breaker from Harbor Freight. Not sure how useful it will be but breaking the bead is the hardest part of the job.
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    I think we are doing the same. We seem to have an intermittent leak in one tire. It usually is fine but twice now we have come in the hangar to find the tire has gone flat. Probably a pinched tube that has to be in the right position to actually leak out. It might be patch-able but we bought a new tube anyway. Figure we will install the new tube and repair the old (if possible) to keep as a spare. That (having a spare) guarantees we won't have a problem again. Kind of amazed that the tube ($55 @ Desser) was almost as expensive as a tire.

We bought a bead-breaker from Harbor Freight. Not sure how useful it will be but breaking the bead is the hardest part of the job.
    Good to know that HF has them just in case. I am hoping a breaker bar and a 5 lb hammer will do the job!

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the solution above where they dropped the hangar door on it.
    ― Yiddish Proverb