Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to replace an inner tube on Tripacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to replace an inner tube on Tripacer

I drive over the tire, just the tire not the rim, in my truck. Breaks the bead every time.

Post Thanks / Like

If you break the bead beside the valve stem, you can easily rip the tube off the valve stem and then you will need a new tube.
    After I remove the valve core, I push the stem inside the rim, then break the bead.
    Guess how I found all that out!
    After a creased tube causing early failure, I decided that Mr Cleveland/Goodyear really knew what they were talking about when they said that tubes can stretch a lot with use, and always install a new tube with a new tire.
    Personally, I use lots of talc, install the tube in the tire, and partially inflate/deflate (without valve core) to remove any creases, then drop it onto the inner rim half, before bolting the outer half on.
    Take care to not pinch the tube when you bolt the two halves together (no, I haven't done that).
    If you're handy with a welder, you can make a pretty good copy of the HF Bead Breaker in a couple of hours with some off-cuts of RHS or SHS. It makes tire work a snap.
    Cleveland or Goodyear put out good info about tire/tube care. Dr Google will find it.
    Last edited by 59pacer; 01-10-2020 at 10:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was asked to change the tires on the Confederate Air Force's SB2C Helldiver. I use to maintain the airplane at my previous job but didn't have the equipment to do the job. Took the wheel/tire assembly to the local tire shop and they broke the bead at the valve stem and cost me a very expensive inner tube.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve always wondered if the instruction to always replace the inner tube wasn’t profit motivated? Working in gas stations before we had tubeless tires I removed many inner tubes, including those on 18 wheelers, patched and reinstalled.
    We always inflated and let the air out several times before installing the valve core.

Ive put new tires on old tubes on my airplane with a liberal dose of tire talc (baby powder) and never had a problem.
    Good Leak Stop tubes are too expensive to trash on my airplane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I’ve always wondered if the instruction to always replace the inner tube wasn’t profit motivated? Working in gas stations before we had tubeless tires I removed many inner tubes, including those on 18 wheelers, patched and reinstalled.
    We always inflated and let the air out several times before installing the valve core.

Ive put new tires on old tubes on my airplane with a liberal dose of tire talc (baby powder) and never had a problem.
    Good Leak Stop tubes are too expensive to trash on my airplane.
    I don't have an issue with reinstalling a repaired tube in it's matching tire.
    Before a bush trip some years back, I fitted new 6 ply tires (always use the same brand) and used the old tubes. As usual, lots of talc, several inflate/deflate cycles, then assemble and reinstall. Within about 25 hours the left tire went flat on landing after a 1 hour flight. When I pulled it apart, the tube had a distinct crease which had 'worked' the tube and caused a split, so that was trash. Being me, I pulled the other tire and had a look at that, and it's tube was going the same way, but repairable. That tube went back into the 'serviceable if desperate to get home' pile. To me it was a lesson, not an 'operator issue'.
    A lot of the flying we do is into really remote areas (called the GAFA or MAMBA here) where we could be 300 miles from any sort of maintenance facility, so I try to improve the odds with possible maintenance issues in the middle of nowhere. Remote equals expensive, so to me a set of tubes, though expensive in themselves, are a minor cost when the alternatives are considered.
    If you're wondering, GAFA is Great Australian F*** All, and MAMBA is Miles And Miles of B***** All, neither of which is really true!
    Last edited by 59pacer; 01-11-2020 at 05:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one I pulled out of a plane a few weeks ago.

Paul
    Salome, AZ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to look out for. Tire talc is hard to find locally (who wants to order some and wait?). But the farm stores carry powdered graphite. So, a few of the locals have figured, since it's powder, and its slick, why not use it. I've been finding a slow leaks in tubes that have used graphite. Little, tiny pinholes. I think that I have heard that the graphite can cause static electricity to build up and make pinholes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaleLindstrom View Post
    One thing to look out for. Tire talc is hard to find locally (who wants to order some and wait?). But the farm stores carry powdered graphite. So, a few of the locals have figured, since it's powder, and its slick, why not use it. I've been finding a slow leaks in tubes that have used graphite. Little, tiny pinholes. I think that I have heard that the graphite can cause static electricity to build up and make pinholes.
    Any reason to not use talc from the supermarket cosmetic section?
    Your tires might smell of lavender or roses for a while, though.

Post Thanks / Like

I use baby talc when I don’t have the coarser tire talc. The baby talc seems slicker.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always used baby talc on tires. Didn't know there was anything else