Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to replace an inner tube on Tripacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to replace an inner tube on Tripacer

Quote Originally Posted by Old3pacer View Post
    I have always used baby talc on tires. Didn't know there was anything else
    I didn’t either. I ordered some tires and tubes from Desser and the asked me I need tire talc. They included a small packet with the tires. Prior to that I always used Johnson Baby powder from my wife’s, mother’s or gas station stash.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-12-2020 at 08:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Any farm supply store should have straight talc in a small container up to a 5 gal bucket. We use 80/20 talc/graphite for planting, and I use that on tubes as well and is nice and slick. Probably better than straight talc actually. https://www.sloanex.com/ez-slide-8lb...lubricant.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Weidner View Post
    Any farm supply store should have straight talc in a small container up to a 5 gal bucket. We use 80/20 talc/graphite for planting, and I use that on tubes as well and is nice and slick. Probably better than straight talc actually. https://www.sloanex.com/ez-slide-8lb...lubricant.html
    That's the exact stuff I've been finding pin-holed tubes with.
    None of the farm stores around me carry tire talc. They looked at me like I'm nuts when I asked for it. Finally added some to an order from Aircraft Spruce.

Post Thanks / Like

Find at your National Aero Parts Association outlet, one in every small town in America

To be honest the baby kind brings this father right back to the begaining: changing that first diaper... and the last.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaleLindstrom View Post
    That's the exact stuff I've been finding pin-holed tubes with.
    None of the farm stores around me carry tire talc. They looked at me like I'm nuts when I asked for it. Finally added some to an order from Aircraft Spruce.
    Interesting. You think the graphite causes issues?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Weidner View Post
    Interesting. You think the graphite causes issues?
    It seems like I remember reading about it causing pin-holes, possibly from static buildup. I could be completely wrong about that. But, I have seen 3 tubes in the last year with pin-holes that were installed with grain lube.

Post Thanks / Like

Local NAPA not a good source for tire talc here. Neither is O’Reilly. I use baby powder. Once upon a time I was told the perfumes in baby powder can cause problems but I haven’t ever seen evidence of it. If the tube looks good when it comes out, I reuse it. Creased or chafed gets replaced whether leaking or not.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaleLindstrom View Post
    It seems like I remember reading about it causing pin-holes, possibly from static buildup. I could be completely wrong about that. But, I have seen 3 tubes in the last year with pin-holes that were installed with grain lube.
    That's the first I've heard of an issue with it, but I will make sure to avoid it for future installs just in case there's something going on there. I have had one flat with a reused tube, but I don't know whether or not the talc mix was used on that one or not. Thanks for the information.