Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Cylinders for CHT & EGT Probes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Cylinders for CHT & EGT Probes?

I'm getting ready to install a EI combination CHT/ EGT single channel Indicator in my 52' PA-22/20-135 with an O-290-D2 and I'm trying to figure out which cylinders to install the probes. The broken CHT gauge that is in the plane has the probe installed in #3. If #3 is possibly the hottest is that the leanest as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best Cylinders for CHT & EGT Probes?

My O-320 The highest EGT and CHT was #4. I know others see #3 as the hot cylinder. My oil cooler is behind # 4; I don't know if that has something to do with it. Since installing the Sutton exhaust, #3 has the highest EGT and #4 still has the highest CHT. Still trying to sort that out.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been flying a "New" Cubby with a 0235 - we placed front cyl baffling to get the cyl temps as even as possible - #4 is still slightly hotter and the highest egt as well I would go with #4

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 4 probe EGT and CHT for my 290-D2 and found #3 to always be the warmest.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,
    I will check 44K tomorrow but, IIRC I have CHT on cyl #4, and EGT on cyl #3.
    Last edited by pa20; 06-16-2014 at 02:05 AM.
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Four probe EI system on my O 290D and on climb out 3 & 4 are the hottest. In cruise they are all nice and even.

Post Thanks / Like

My CHT is on #4, right in front of the baffle mounted oil cooler, and my EGT is on #3. Makes sense to me that #4 would run hottest since some of the cooling air goes out the oil cooler and not down through the cylinder fins.
    63' Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. I installed the EI EGT/CHT Indicator today and decided to install the probes on #3 cyclinder. It checked out good. It wasn't fun working underneath the instrument panel with about 90 degrees in the hanger.

Post Thanks / Like

Default CHT/EGT Probes

Hello all. After some effort I deducted that my CHT gauge is now a paperweight . I have ordered an EI single channel CHT/EGT gauge from Aircraft Spruce.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages...-carbtemp2.php

I will probably get the switch and probes to monitor all 4 cylinders sometime in the future, but for now it will only be one cylinder (O320-150HP). In the meantime my question is, which cylinder do these probes need to be connected to? I'm thinking #3, but aren't sure. My A&P is going to help me with the install. He also thought the #3 cylinder was right. I just wanted to make sure, especially before a hole is drilled in my semi-new Dawley exhaust rebuild.

Thanks,
    Kyle
    Last edited by Kyle Duncan; 10-09-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: CHT/EGT Probes

Kyle,
    check out this thread, sounds like if your going single channel that either #3 or #4 would work.

https://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum/showthread.php?9488-Best-Cylinders-for-CHT-amp-EGT-Probes