Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plugs

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Spark Plugs

Good information. Last time a Champion rep was by here he blew it off and no change. I don't talk to them about their products at S&F and OSH I am usually talking to Joe Logie about magnetos.
    I have had good service out of Tempest both in service life and corrosion and at $4 a plug cheaper for massives and $25 a plug less on fine wires I will probably keep using them. Will keep an eye out for the corrosion issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't have any Tempest plugs in my tray. The 4 on the left are Unison Autolite which Tempest bought and the two on the left are Champions. I have Champions that are not rusty as well. You can see that I wire brushed the fine wire furthest to the left and put some primer on it because of the rust. I wonder if Tempest has changed the process Unison used for plating the plugs.
    20170912_095042.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 09-12-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, do you think I would be better off running the REM37BY instead of the REM 40E in my Colt's O-235C1B? I lean aggressively now on the ground and don't have much lead fouling. I was concerned that the REM37BY plug doesn't have the the massive electrodes and that they may wear down quicker. Also wondering about how they protude further into the cylinder and maybe run hotter because of that. Thx, Kirk '61 Colt 1550 hours TT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The fine wire plugs last a lot longer and are less prone to lead fouling. I haven't seen any more wear with the BY plug over the E it is just harder to measure for no go. They usually last about 500 hours in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliots View Post
    Steve, do you think I would be better off running the REM37BY instead of the REM 40E in my Colt's O-235C1B? I lean aggressively now on the ground and don't have much lead fouling. I was concerned that the REM37BY plug doesn't have the the massive electrodes and that they may wear down quicker. Also wondering about how they protude further into the cylinder and maybe run hotter because of that. Thx, Kirk '61 Colt 1550 hours TT.
    In a past life, I flew a Tomahawk extensively as a commuter plane. The O-235-L2C in that plane really liked the REM37BY in the bottom plugs. The longer protrusion and fine-wire kept my problems with lead fouling way down. Even leaning from start-up to take-off and then in cruise I typically couldn't get 25hrs before changing the bottom set of 40E plugs. With the BY plugs I doubled that or more. If I added MMO to my fuel I could almost double it again. MMO and the 40E plugs didn't change my fouling issues much.

Post Thanks / Like

Default O-320 spark plugs

Which performs best in an O-320 Lycoming? REM38E or REM40E?

Thank you

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: O-320 spark plugs

I’ve always used REM40Es. The higher the number, the hotter the plug. A hotter plug should be less prone to fouling. If you were actually comparing REM40ES to RHM37BY, the 37 BY will last maybe 3 times as long, but costs 3 times as much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I use UREM40E. The U indicates manufactured by Tempest.

Post Thanks / Like

Same as Gilbert for almost the last 1000 hours
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered 4 UREM37Es for the bottom of my O-320 A2B. Wondering if I should also run them for tops when I do them? I see a couple people posted using the 37bys both top and bottom back in 2017. Any thoughts on the experience so far?

Cheers,

John