Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Spark Plugs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spark Plugs

Interesting thread. Way back I used only Champion REM40Es, and at every annual, part of the job was to clean up the external corrosion and paint them with something like 'silver frost'. Then Tempest came along with their corrosion resistant exterior and the ability to test the resistance for serviceability, so I bought a set of those to try out. They were always cheaper too, if I recall correctly. At every annual I'd be digging out lead and deposits in reasonable quantities from both brands.
    After some years, I'd read that some had been having good results with the Tempest UREM37BYs, so I tried a set of those. With them being a cooler plug, I half expected to see more fouling.
    The 37BY's just don't seem to foul up with anything significant. After a recent trip of ~60 hours, 7 plugs had no fouling of any sort, and one had a piece of lead the size of a pinhead. I think, but can't prove, that the engine starts quicker.
    I've always used 100LL, cruised at 70-75% power, and leaned as per Mr Lycoming's handbook. 160hp O-320-B2A.
    The earliest Tempests I'm using are all starting to corrode on the barrels, and need treatment. I've never been impressed with the quality of their thread cutting--it's rough!
    I'm quite happy to stay with the 37BYs for the lack of fouling and the checkable serviceable resistance limits, and now that Champion have introduced resistance numbers--either brand.
    There appears to be some confusion above. The UREM40E and UREM37BY are both classed as 'massive' by Tempest (and if you remove the U, by Champion also). The 37BY has the protruding electrodes but it is still 'massive'. The UREM38S is the fine wire type. All are 5/8" type.
    Last edited by 59pacer; 11-11-2022 at 06:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spark Plugs

Quote Originally Posted by 59pacer View Post
    Interesting thread. Way back I used only Champion REM40Es, and at every annual, part of the job was to clean up the external corrosion and paint them with something like 'silver frost'. Then Tempest came along with their corrosion resistant exterior and the ability to test the resistance for serviceability, so I bought a set of those to try out. They were always cheaper too, if I recall correctly. At every annual I'd be digging out lead and deposits in reasonable quantities from both brands.
    After some years, I'd read that some had been having good results with the Tempest UREM37BYs, so I tried a set of those. With them being a cooler plug, I half expected to see more fouling.
    The 37BY's just don't seem to foul up with anything significant. After a recent trip of ~60 hours, 7 plugs had no fouling of any sort, and one had a piece of lead the size of a pinhead. I think, but can't prove, that the engine starts quicker.
    I've always used 100LL, cruised at 70-75% power, and leaned as per Mr Lycoming's handbook. 160hp O-320-B2A.
    The earliest Tempests I'm using are all starting to corrode on the barrels, and need treatment. I've never been impressed with the quality of their thread cutting--it's rough!
    I'm quite happy to stay with the 37BYs for the lack of fouling and the checkable serviceable resistance limits, and now that Champion have introduced resistance numbers--either brand.
    There appears to be some confusion above. The UREM40E and UREM37BY are both classed as 'massive' by Tempest (and if you remove the U, by Champion also). The 37BY has the protruding electrodes but it is still 'massive'. The UREM38S is the fine wire type. All are 5/8" type.
    Thanks for that, useful for me as I was wondering if I should be running all 37s being they are cooler. I think it’s a reasonable assumption that having the electrodes further in the midst of the chamber makes up for the lower heat.

I’d ordered 4 for my bottoms and next year I’ll swap the tops too.

Thanks again!