Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 850x6 tire?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best 850x6 tire?

Quote Originally Posted by n4582z View Post
    I would be interested in the final say on this. I have the converted double pucked disc brakes on mine. It has 8.00x6 tires on it. Not sure I like them for the asphalt or concrete operations, but really like them on the grass. Without checking the brand, mine are pretty rounded on the edge and appear to be wearing more on the ID with the postive camber. I think I will go back to the 6.00x6 or 7.00x6 either if mandated or when these wear out.

I will dig through my paperwork and see if I see any approval listings or this 1675 form from Univair.

Thanks for the info on this subject.
    7.00's are a nice compromise almost the same diameter as the 8.00 but an inch narrower (less drag & weight) 7.00 & 8.00 also share the same inner tube - so if your current tubes are good - you can put on either 7.00's or 8.00's I believe that bulletin 1675 approves 7.00's on all the possible wheel combinations. Happy Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n4582z View Post
    I would be interested in the final say on this. I have the converted double pucked disc brakes on mine. It has 8.00x6 tires on it. Not sure I like them for the asphalt or concrete operations, but really like them on the grass. Without checking the brand, mine are pretty rounded on the edge and appear to be wearing more on the ID with the postive camber. I think I will go back to the 6.00x6 or 7.00x6 either if mandated or when these wear out.

I will dig through my paperwork and see if I see any approval listings or this 1675 form from Univair.

Thanks for the info on this subject.
    Here is the bulletin. Univair bulletin 1675.pdf

I'm guessing that I don't have the one wheel that would be approved. You basically have two wheel types, the 40-84 and the 40-84A (Parker catalog pg. 5-50). The 40-6 is the drum brake wheel (now the 3040, Parker catalog pg.5-40). Only the 40-84A is approved for the 8.00s, and looking at the catalog the wheel halves are different. The Univair kit supplies the 40-84.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Hann; 05-09-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Here is the bulletin. Univair bulletin 1675.pdf

I'm guessing that I don't have the one wheel that would be approved. You basically have two wheel types, the 40-84 and the 40-84A (Parker catalog pg. 5-50). The 40-6 is the drum brake wheel (now the 3040, Parker catalog pg.5-40). Only the 40-84A is approved for the 8.00s, and looking at the catalog the wheel halves are different. The Univair kit supplies the 40-84.

Jim
    I think the only difference is that the disc (rotor) itself is offset alittle farther from the inner wheel half to give clearance to the tire - some have installed a spacer between the inner wheel and the disc to do the same thing - but technically to be approved follow your own decision. 7.00's will really do the job of the 8.00 and you will pick up 1-2 mph

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer 24C View Post
    I think the only difference is that the disc (rotor) itself is offset alittle farther from the inner wheel half to give clearance to the tire - some have installed a spacer between the inner wheel and the disc to do the same thing - but technically to be approved follow your own decision. 7.00's will really do the job of the 8.00 and you will pick up 1-2 mph
    That would explain why the wheel halves are different parts but most everything else (including the through bolts) are the same. Offset the tire a little farther from the inside but keep the bearings, dimensions, etc the same. I was debating on changing tires sizes possibly all the way down to 6.00X6 because of both the price difference and the availability of retreads (I'm a cheap airline pilot.) If I was going to be flying the airplane up in AK and on grass/gravel I'd probably just go buy the 8.50X6 STC. I have a little time to make a decision.

Jim
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer 24C View Post
    I think the only difference is that the disc (rotor) itself is offset alittle farther from the inner wheel half to give clearance to the tire - some have installed a spacer between the inner wheel and the disc to do the same thing - but technically to be approved follow your own decision.
    You are correct. AK Bushwheels sells spacers or you can install the deeper brake disc like the 40-84A. Another problem is if you have the early Light Plane Components gear that was built for the drum brakes the offset spacers are welded to the axle and causes brake disc/caliper issues if you want to install disc brakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 8.50 tires

Any approval for 8.50's on the stock wheels other than a field approval? I have the Univair TW STC and 8.00's on stock shoe brake wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 8.50 tires

Looked into this several years back and the univair STC only covered up to 8.00x6. I have not been able to find another STC to cover the 8.50x6.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Svenn's Aviation STC SA02672CH allows install of 8.50 x 6 inch or 26 inch I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ysifly2 View Post
    Svenn's Aviation STC SA02672CH allows install of 8.50 x 6 inch or 26 inch I believe.
    Thanks - But not sure for stock wheels

Post Thanks / Like

The Svenn's "Write Up" for the 50 or 26" states ....... on Cleveland wheels..... for what that is worth, does "stock wheels" imply McCauley?

enjoy the day,

john
    Arizona Pacer