Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cessna 175/GO300

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hard Eight BBQ in Stephenville, TX for Lunch on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    The bigger continentals are lot worse to work on due to trying to get to the nuts on the exhaust and intakes IMHO
    Yes, I was talking about the larger continentals like the IO-520. Mark, what does breaking loose with a 6 point then switching to a 12 point help with?
    Last edited by txfirefighter628; 01-17-2015 at 02:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cessna 175/GO300

Rusty stuck nuts...or bolts for that matter. 12 point will round-em. Six point is less likely to round the fastener. Once loosened and you can't get a ratchet on it.. Using a twelve point give more positions to tug on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Rusty stuck nuts...or bolts for that matter. 12 point will round-em. Six point is less likely to round the fastener. Once loosened and you can't get a ratchet on it.. Using a twelve point give more positions to tug on.

got ya, I have 1/4 drive 6pt swivel sockets that I use. Don't have a 12pt set yet, new mechanic, but will add to add them in the future to the tool box. Anything that makes those exhaust nuts easier to get off is worth the money. We just got an A36 bonanza with a IO-520-BA that came in for an annual and turns out cylinder #2 is bad. Job security.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll post a pic of the 1/4" drive extension modified just for the 520's

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't turned wrenches on any of them. I taught in and flew photo missions in a 172H, loved the smoothness of it but you definitely knew it when you had 3 people in it, power just wasn't there. The IO-520-C in the Baron was a really good engine, never had one quit in 1700+ hours of freight flying. Had one shut down because the mixture cable broke, not the engine's fault.

Oh, and the tool want list continues to grow....

Jim
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by txfirefighter628 View Post
    i dont particuly care care for the O-300, or any continental engine for that matter. Where I work we have a 172F with a O-300 and a 172L with the lycoming O-320-E2D, for rental and student training, and the L model is a much better performing plane. Ever change a cylinder on a continental vs a lycoming? Much easier on a lycoming, takes probably 1/2 to 3/4 less time vs a continental. The continentals I've worked on run good and are reliable, just harder to do cylinder changes on because of the way the intake and exhaust manifolds bolt up.

I will be there on Sunday in a 172L with the family. It's kinda ugly right now, but flys great. We are in the final stages of restoring it and the engine cowling is painted the new colors but the rest of the plane is the old color scheme still. It's been to dang cold to paint the whole plane, but the engine cowling is small enough to take in the heated part of the shop so that's what the boss wanted done.
    Really? Replaced aircraft, cylinder on my Cessna 150 with a O200 in 0 degrees F (-20c). After that installed new baffles on remote lake while I was at it and had all torn down. Lol. Never found the O200 that difficult. Just me. I never had any experiance with the GO300 but if handled and maintained correctly I have heard great things about them.

Post Thanks / Like

I've haven't had to replace a cylinder on a O-300 or O-200 yet, just the larger continentals like the IO-520. As far as in a 172, the one we have with the lycoming O-320-E2D is a much better performing airplane. The 172 I'm comparing it to has a O-300-D and may just be wore out.

Post Thanks / Like

I have lots of C-175 GO-300 experience. I got my Private license in my dads 175. I had to change a piston after it lost a chunk and broke the oil ring at the bottom of the skirt. I was on my way to Oshkosh when this happened and the local mechanic loaned me his cylinder base wrenches and I had it off in about an hour. (I am an A&P) the GO-300 intake is more like the O-470 so cylinder removal is fairly easy. I was warned that pistons will start cracking around 500 hours. I had 700 on the ones I was flying at the time. Got the plane home and did a top overhaul. Three out of six pistons were cracked. I was glad they didn't let go and send a rod through the case. Mark is right the tach should be connected to the prop shaft instead of the crankshaft. I like taking pilots up in it and watch the reaction as I set cruise power at 3000-3200 RPM.