Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bungee Boot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bungee Boot

I was on the Univair site and saw they had a "Piper Boot" that I thought was the one that covers where the control column goes thru the floor. Since it was only $12 I thought I would try it out. However, what I got was not what was pictured and I'm not even sure either is what I'm looking for.

The part I received (picture below back/front) is actually stamped 12729-026 on the inside of the part but obviously doesn't match the picture on the Univair website. Besides the extra cutout it also has only male snaps.
    Boot2.jpgBoot.jpg

Here's the link to the Univair page that I ordered it from: http://www.univair.com/piper/parts/1...26-piper-boot/

So my questions are, What did I actually receive and most importantly, what P/N should I be ordering if I want the boot to cover up the space where the control column goes thru the floorboard?

001_0177.jpg

I had thought of making something but then I saw this for $12 and thought that might be easier. Wrong
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What did I get?

That boot is to cover the bungie cords... There is a matching rear part that has female snaps... The part you have there goes in the front with the cutout going over the flap handle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That is the boot that covers the front area of the Hydrosorbs and "seals" the cockpit where the shocks penetrate the floor, just below the center of the front seat(s).
    Actually there are two parts, front and rear, they snap together and are screwed to the floor.
    I believe the mating part with matching snaps is http://www.univair.com/piper/parts/1...per-boot-rear/.
    The lace goes thru the top and they snap together on left and right of the shock tower.

Regarding the Piper Control Column Boot, this is a revised version from Univair, complete with metal attachment frame. $36:
    http://www.univair.com/piper/parts/1...00-piper-boot/

AC Spruce has the traditional style of Control Column Boot but it does not include the metal frame:
    Piper PA-22, 1 Pc. Control Column Boot, PN 09-17410 $19.75
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/...ramecovers.php (note generic photo, not the actual part for PA20/22.)
    If you don't have the square frame that secures the base of the boot to the floor, I suggest the Univair part.

If you are handy with leather work just get a chunk of leather of suitable vinyl fabric (aircraft approved of course) and make your own part.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

I used to own a saddle shop and made saddles. I also made a lot of chaps over the years. I have quite a bit of small pieces of split leather if someone wants to make their own.

Post Thanks / Like

My 22/20 has a piece of vinyl glued to the cross tube under the seats and *was* velcroed to the floor. The velcro has come loose from the floorboard so it is just laying there. My column boot is similarly amateur. Ahh, more money to spend.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'm feeling a little stupid here as I just can't figure out how the part I have (knowing it's only 1/2 of 2pc set) could fit around my bungees. When I tried to puzzle it together in the plane I kept running into issues with the seat adjustment lever. Here are some pictures of my bungees and maybe somebody could explain it to me using small words, pictures and speaking slowly. I guess I'm just a little 'obtuse'.

20150208_142605_resized.jpg20150208_142549_resized.jpg20150208_142435_resized.jpg
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Those two screws in front of the cluster should have male snaps in them, like what holds the front carpet in place. The mating snaps at the base of the "leather" triangle secure to those, and the rear leather part has similar mating snaps to hold to floor, and the sides of front and rear pieces together. Imagine the cover of an Indian tipi, sliced in half top to bottom, and snapping it in place to the ground and together around the poles. The string threads thu the sewn chanel at the top as a drawstring. It usually is a crud fit and requires some finagling to make it fit halfway decently.

Found photos of a (damaged) set of bungee covers that was sold on ebay, these pics might help clarify a bit.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piper-TriPac...p2047675.l2557

You could make a front and rear set using your piece as a pattern, but make it about an inch oversize in both axes to allow easier fitting around front and rear of cluster. Glue Velcro material to the "mating" edges instead of snaps (unless you have snap installation tools?) and screws and washers to secure bottom of tipi to the floor.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

OK, following along (slowly) with what you and Brian said above, I'm starting to see what you're talking about. However, assuming the half I have (pic in first post) is the front side, the lever for the seat adjustment is in the way. If I pull it up high enough that both the flap handle and seat adjustment lever go thru the big notched slot in the leather then wont reach to the floor.

Like I said, I'm 'obtuse'.
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    If I pull it up high enough that both the flap handle and seat adjustment lever go thru the big notched slot in the leather then wont reach to the floor.
    Maybe those boots were for a 1956-1964 model with the split seats (and two levers). Have you checked a parts catalog to see if that part number matches up with your "year"?

Todd
    Todd Loes -- Waterloo, IA
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the parts catalog but mine is serial #22-2341 if anyone has one handy.

I'm starting to think I grab and old leather coat and a roll of duct tape and go crazy.
    ― Yiddish Proverb